Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alpac Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Solder Tips
    I have a few questions about soldering with leadless silver-based solder and MAPP gas. Its my large (relative to me) sized project. Say two lengths of copper (hot and cold) each 15 feet with 6 fittings.

For now, the copper is dry half-inch type L...

I find it takes a while to heat a joint to the point of solder melting and wicking into a joint. My flame is mostly tuned to the fitting where it overlaps. I wait and wait. I see the fitting discolor. Even the front of the torch tube is glowing red...

Does the flame ever get applied to the pipe while heating it up?

Maybe I am moving the flame to fast over the part?

Maybe I am too far away or too close?

How long?

Are there tell-tale signs when I am heating too much?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
    I have soldered a lot of copper pipes -- when you do it for a living you learn

I like applying heat on one side and solder on other -- and use damp rag to wipe off excess solder

I would recommend any of these sites -- last one is a good video

Copper in Your Home: Do It Yourself - Soldering School

Soldering Copper Pipe | Tips & Techniques | Reader's Digest

Soldering Copper Pipes Tutorial

Please rate my answer -- Thank You
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
    My bet is your not cleaning or fluxing the fittings and pipe. I hope I'm wrong.

The discoloring is the giveaway.

Practice soldering fittings on top of a pipe. Dry fit.Use wire brushes (single tool) made to clean the pipe and joint. Flux parts. Assemble.

Heat the fitting. Not the pipe. Test periodically if the joint is hot enough. When it is, take the torch away and run solder along the joint. The solder will be pulled in my cappilary action. Do not disturb joint while it's cooling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solder fittings to Type M copper [ 1 Answers ]

What challenges do I face if my existing plumbing is Type M? Existing copper is 35+ years old. I purchased Type L copper lines. I don't think my fittings were typed.

Compression vs. Solder [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. I have seen bits and pieces to the answer to my question in other posts, but not sure I have the complete answer, so I will ask it directly... Transitioning from copper to (C)PVC, are compression junctions adequate and/or recommended, or is it advisable to use soldered connections? ...

Lead solder [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any alternatives to resolder a lead solder joint besides lead?

Removing a tailpiece from lead solder [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove the tailpiece on the p trap that is soldered in place with lead at the face of the wall

View more questions Search