Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skavert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Shower Pan Replacement Question
    I am replacing an old shower pan with a fiberglass unit. I believe the old pan is acrylic. There is a large opening in the slab for the trap, approx 12" x 12". There will be no support for the part of the pan that's directly above this cutout. Is the fiberglass shower pan strong enough to not need additional support in that area without cracking? Or do I need to do something to provide better support for the pan in that area?

Thank you!
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Looks more like a tup dap out to me then a shower installation. When we rough for a shower installation we position the trap, bring the raiser from the trap up out of the floor 2 or 3 inches and then pour the floor leaving the trap under the pour. The only time we leave a square hole is when we rough for a tub. If you leave the dapout and install a shower base over it you will have no support for the shower drain. The floor will flex and give with the weight and eventually the seal between the drain lip and the shower floor will be ruptured and start to leak. My advice? Extend the raiser up over the floor line and fill the dapout with cement. But you're not through yet. Most plastic or fiberglass shower basis need to be bedded so the floor won't flex or give when you step in it. To bed a shower floor, puddle cement or mortar under the floor after it's been installed and let it cure. You now have a shower floor that will last without leaks. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Replacement with a Shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, we have an old house that had a clawfoot tub that drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor. We now want to replace it with a shower. How do we get the drain problem figured out? We are on a slab foundation. Please any info will help!!

Shower or tub surround replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Considering replacing my Bathtub/shower surround. Can anyone tell me if the drywall is going to have to go as well because of the glue which was used in order to install the thing in the first place? I'm thinking it's going to tear drywall paper on the way out? Any kind of solvent avail? Thanks

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

Shower tile replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife wants me to replace the ceramic tile in our walk in shower. It has white grout that she has a hard time keeping clean, plus she dosen't like the tile. The shower walls are the standard cultured marble type. Its on a slab and does not leak. My question is can I just take out the old tile...

Shower stall replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one piece fiberglass shower stall that I want to remove and replace. The drain pipe is PVC with a metal flange and some lead, how do I remove it?

View more questions Search