Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manojoct11 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Check for eligiblity for Claiming the Child Tax Credit?
    Hi Tax Experts,

I arrived from India to USA on July 29, 2007. And my wife and daughter arrived in US on Oct 28, 2007. I am on L1 visa and my wife and daughter are on L2 visas. As of today that means we have been here for more than 187 days.

My question is should I file my tax return as a resident alien or non resident alien?

My Wife was not working here in the USA through 2007 as she was waiting on her EAD work authorization. She received her EAD in Jan 2008 but still not working.

Can you make a recommendation on how I should file my taxes and advise if I am eligible to get $1000 Claiming the Child Tax Credit?

Please Note: I have SSN and my wife and daughter have received ITIN from IRS.

Many thanks and appreciate your help ASAP.

Regards,
    Manoj Agarwal
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 05:23 AM
    File joint resident tax return and claim exemption for your daughter. You will get Child Tax Credit.

Apr 11, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Others view please??

Apr 13, 2008, 08:12 PM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming a child [ 3 Answers ]

Hi see I am going through this thing with my parent and my boyfriend and his parents. The thing is my boyfriend (also my daughter father) thinks he can claim her on taxes even though for the first year of her life she has lived here at my parents home with me and he also resides here but his...

Claiming a child [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking these questions for my son and his girlfriend. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. My son and his girlfriend had a baby in October. Of this year. They just moved back from TX to MA. She is living with her parents for the past 3 months until they get an apartment together. My...

Disability check VS. Child support check [ 2 Answers ]

My sister lives w/ my step father. My mom HAD to leave the home. My sister is 13 and decided to stay w/ father. I don't think he can take care of my sister.. he can't hardly take care of his self. He receives a disability check for his self and my sister gets one also until she is 18. He BLOWS...

Unemployment - claiming wages made - check reduction [ 3 Answers ]

What is up with the government? I am unemployed and have been since May and my husband since June. We are struggling to make ends meet. I found a part-time waitressing job. When I go to file my unemployment claim for the week, I have to report my wages made. When I do, they reduce my...

Claiming child [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I think my ex is claiming our daughter on his taxes. I know he can not do this, so how do I handle it? My income is tax exempt, so I don't have to file taxes. Is there a number I can call to see if he is or what can I do? :confused: After not wanting to give me a penny for years he came up...

View more questions Search