Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martyrochon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Refrigerator not cooling properly
    I've just installed an old fridge in my kitchen. The fridge hums normally, the freezer works fine, but the fridge part is not cooling properly. Even on the coldest setting, the temperature inside the fridge is not very cool. Is this a fixable problem (dirty coils, clogged pipes) or is the fridge kaput? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Sounds like your defrost switch is bad and your freezing coils are caked with ice. Try replacing the defrost switch and that should solve your problem. It's a very common part that goes bad in defrost models. You can clean the bottom coils as well as they will help but not fix the problem.
    martyrochon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Where and how do I replace the defrost switch? It is a very old fridge that hasn't been in use for a couple years, if that helps.
    4mrcadet Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
    If it is an "older model" the defrost timer may be located behind the kick guard at front of the unit at the bottom. Remove the kick guard, probably by gently pulling out on it at either the top or bottom of the guard. Look to see if there is a metal or plastic component with a modular plug (wires) connected to it. There may also be a slot with a hole in it, this is a manual operator for the timer cam. If you decide to replace this component yourself, before proceeding UNPLUG THE REFRIGERATOR FROM THE WALL OUTLET! Danger of electrical shock if you do not unplug the unit. You will need to go to an appliance parts distributor (such as Marcone Applance Parts) to purchase the defrost timer. You will need to take with you the make (Kenmore, GE, etc.) the model number, and the serial number.
    The model number could be behind the kick guard, inside the refrigerator section left or right side inside the compartment, or possibly on the door. Replacement timer cost is usually around $50-$60. Keep in mind that the problem could also be the condenser fan motor, very heavy accumulation of dust (wool) on the condenser coils underneath the unit (or behind the unit depending on age), or a defective defrost heater.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    jkallengang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 04:05 AM
    I have this same problem: the coils are clean, no ice build up. Still sound like a defrost switch? The freezer works and the fridge section "clicks" on but no cool air comes out in the fridge. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag side by side not cooling properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 - 2005 maytag side by side fridge freezer that has been working quite well until about three days ago. I have done some searches and found a coupe of things to do or check. I have checked and cleaned all the lint of the lower back of the unit including the cooling coils and the fan...

Heat pump not cooling or heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is...

Central air conditioner not cooling properly [ 3 Answers ]

I have a single wide moble home with an addition, it has 100 amp service. I had a two and a half ton air conditioner and heat pump installed a few years ago. It has never cooled my home and I have had a numer of service people check it and they either add freon or take it out saying there is too...

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

Rheem Split Unit A/C not cooling properly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem split unit heater / ac RGDG-075AUER. It appear to be from 1994 based upon the serial number CB5D302-F1994-1196. The unit does not provide proper cooling for my townhome. When the AC is turned on it will initially blow cool air, but eventually the air appears warmer as if only a fan...

View more questions Search