Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myri Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
    How to write an essay for short story
    Hello I'm a student ,soon I'll have an exam in literature fiction.I wanted to know how to write an analyse of a short story
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
    First - Actually read the story through once or twice.

Second - Read the story again and make notes about it: Is it purely entertainment? Are there parallels to modern society or history? Is there a lesson being taught?

Third - Organize your notes into the body of your essay. Go back if you need to site “proof” about your conclusions. When you go to write about each paragraph or section, you can expand on the ideas you've captured in your notes.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 04:08 PM
    First, read the question. What is it that its asking you to analyze?

Then, read the story once through.

Then, read the story a second time, making notes.
    myri Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Thanks ,man I hope it will be helpful to me
    zoe6611 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Q: OK but I am still confused?
    Cheryth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 09:02 AM
    I hope this will help you. :)

1/- Analyze and identify
    You need to first analyze the story that has been given to you. Evaluate and analyze the characters, the plot and the core idea of the short story. Also identify the theme that the writer is trying to convey in his/her story. Note down the opinions of several literature critics and how they have evaluated and reviewed the story in depth. You will be able to find plenty of materials on the internet. By gathering and analyzing all these opinions, you will be able to write your essay comprehensively.

2/- Understand your research work
    By researching the opinions of other critics and making a comparative study with your own analysis, you can ensure that you have interpreted the writer’s message correctly. Decide on a topic that you think is most suitable to the assignment. Prepare an outline of your analysis as this would help you present your essay in an organized manner.

3/- Write your essay
    Short story essays are written in the same format as any other essay. Structuring your essay is very important as you will be able to present your ideas in a systematic order. A typical essay format consists of an introductory paragraph, the main body and a conclusion.

a/- Introduction – mention the topic of your essay. Present your opinions and arguments in a clear and precise manner.

b/- Main body – present the facts that support your arguments. It is advisable to quote examples from the short story for this purpose.

c/- Conclusion – provide all the important details that you have observed and analyzed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is name of this short story [ 2 Answers ]

I read this in college. It's about a family that takes a trip. The car breaks down and 3 men show up and they end up killing the family. I think the grandmother survives. I had to do a research paper on the symbolism on this story. Been trying to find it for a couple months now. Please...

Best Short Story Sci Fi Markets [ 2 Answers ]

Which is the best Sci Fi magazine for fledgling writers to submit their first short-story manuscripts to.

Need opinion if my short story is good... [ 1 Answers ]

Tears rolled out of the eyes you once saw, but what is so vague, you always seem to overlook. Slowly, she roughly wiped her eyes only, because she knew she should go on. Leaving behind everything, she had continuously accomplished, over and over. As she started staring at those sturdy steps in...

Does anyone write short stories? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I write a lot of short stories. It is so much fun. I put them on the internet for all to read. There is a special place on the net you can write your stories. We all compare our stories and talk about them. Mine are fiction so far. Just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who likes...

Short story [ 3 Answers ]

I have to bring a short story (preferably no longer than 15 pages) into class, talk a bit about the author and then lead a discussion on it. I'm not a big on reading short stories so I don't have any books on them or anything. Does anyone know a short story that's easy to analyse and has some...

View more questions Search