Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjg344 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Refrigerator warm to touch
    We have Maytag refrigerator with freezer on top. If you touch the refrigerator on the outside on both sides of freezer it is very, very warm to touch. Is this normal? Could it be overheating?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 06:54 AM
    This could be due to the defrost cycle coming on inside the freezer. Check to see if this is the defrost cycle doing this. The fridge fan should not be working when the defrost cycle is on. That will give you a clue as to whether it is in a defrost cycle. If the fridge is very warm all the time it could be another problem. Does the freezer and fridge have the proper operating temps inside - are you using a fridge and freezer thermometers?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Have you checked the condenser coils? If they are dirty the refrigerator may need to lose heat elsewhere, but the liquid line which is part of the condenser circuit is routed around the freezer door to keep ice from forming there, so this is normal unless your coils are dirty. You need to clean out coils every six months at a minimum. If you have pets even more often. I like to take a refrigerator outside and wash it out inside and out to get it really clean. Dirty coils will ruin a refrigerator's compressor. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag refrigerator center panel VERY warm [ 18 Answers ]

I am house-sitting and cannot locate the manual and don't have the serial number for the Maytag refrigerator in the house. The Model is MSD2456GE taken off the right door of this side-by-side refrigerator. The center panel edge, the one that the doors close up against, is very warm. Too hot in...

GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up causing fridge to warm [ 27 Answers ]

We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 5 years old but for the past year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer...

Refrigerator Frame HOT to the Touch! [ 1 Answers ]

I copy and pasted the post below because I am having the same problem, however I had a serviceman check it and the first time the fan had gotten disconnected during installation, that was fixed. I have moved out of the house and rented it to my daughter and she is now having the same problem. I...

Light switch warm to touch, even when "off" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a light switch used to turn on 1 60-watt bulb over my kitchen sink. The faceplate of the switch is warm to the touch, despite the fact that the light has been off all day. What could cause this? Is it a fire hazard? Is it possible for the other outlets on the circuit with...

Maytag side-by-side refrigerator low cabin cold upper cabin warm [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maytag side-by-side refrigerator. I noticed that in the refrigerator section the low part ( where there is an air duct opening to the freezer). However, the upper part is warm. I have tried changing the temperature control it doesn't seem to be helping. Apparently the freezer is...

View more questions Search