Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickdgr8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
    How to connect two computers??
    Hi Everybody..
    I'm new to computers.. n I've got two computers at home with windows xp running on them. I would like to know how to connect them to each other. I've got no NIC card and no cross over cable. Let me know the things I need them to connect. And secondly if I would like to connect them wirelessly, which things I need and how to connect.. Thank You
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 11, 2006, 04:18 AM
    nickdgr8,

I think you've hit on the most common solutions on your own. The fact that you don't have a built-in NIC implies that you have an older system running perhaps an older version OS (I could be wrong). So you may need to consider the support your HW/SW will provide to any new HW you purchase. i.e. check to make sure that your HW/OS will support whatever you end up purchasing. There are really two major/common options available to you: Wired or Wireless. You can purchase two wired NICs or two wireless PCI NICs and get your machines connected via cross-over cable (for wired) or Peer-to-Peer wireless. These two solutions meet your simple "get connected" needs. If that's what you want then I would strongly recommend against wireless and for the wired solution as the wireless solution in this case is very insecure.

You can go a step further and get yourself either a switch (e.g. Linksys/Netgear/D-Link) that supports wired and/or wireless and connect your two computers via the switch which is what I recommend you do. If you opt for wireless then make sure that whatever you choose for wireless NICs and switch can support WPA2 so you can configure your wireless network to be the most secure. Also make sure that you go with support for "802.11g" not because of speed but because devices that support 802.11g will tend to provide better features. And since you don't have any NICs today that means that you are either using a friends computer to get on the internet or you maybe using dial-up. If you happen to want to move to the DSL or Cable world then you want to make sure that your purchased switch (wired or wireless) supports DSL/Cable. If I were to take a risk and recommend a product I would go with one of the many options found here: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper for wireless or here http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper for wired.

Now having said that if you can live without wireless and wires aren't a problem for you I would personally stick with wired connections. There's less chance of someone hacking your network or you accidentally misconfiguring your wireless network. You also get roughly 4x the speed with a wired connection than you do with a wireless connection (in the case of 100Mbps wired vs. 802.11g). But if you're used to dial-up then either will seem fast :).

Good luck.

Casey

Feb 11, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Thanks Casey, that was a great help. Well wires are no problem, so that's how I'm going to connect. But in near future I might get DSL, lets c. Thanks a lot again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2006, 06:42 AM
    A lot depends on WHY you want to connect them. If you can explain what you hope to accomplish, we may be able to give some specifics.

Are you sure you don't have NICs? Almost all XP machines I've seen have them. They look like a larger phone jack.

Feb 11, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Actually I always wanted to learn about computers... I've great interest in them.. and secondly ,one is my cousins computer and I want to connect it so that we both can share information. And Scott, You are now confusing me, is PCI card is NIC card or they are different?? :) :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
    NIC stands for Network Interface Card. PCI is a standard type of peripheral card. So a NIC can be a PCI card. However, most PCs made in the last few years have a Network Interface built into the motherboard. This is also called an Ethernet Card or port. Like I said it looks like an oversized phone jack. I would be very surprised if your PC doesn't have one.

As for sharing information, once you network the PCs, you can share drives so each PC can view and access folders on the other PC. But if you are going broadband, I would suggest waiting until you do that and go with a broadbabd router. It will be easier to setup the network that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect via remote desktop two computers on lan [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could provide me with step-by-step instructions on setting up Remote Desktop on two networked computers (not using internet) in an office. Both machines have windows xp pro. I want to be able to work on the other office computer without having to keep walking over to the...

I need to connect my 2 home computers [ 23 Answers ]

On one internet connection. I am afraid to go wireless, because one computer is on the second floor of the house and the other in the basement game room. I want to know if a router (and the most cost effective one to get) would work with our computers. The basement computer has Windows 98 and...

Connect 2 computers to burn a dvd... [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to connect 2 computers to burn a dvd. I think(? ) w/ a crossover cable I can figure out how to make the connection. Why am I doing this you ask... PC1 (running Me) has the dvd burner & software but is FAT32. Figured this out when the downloading 6.1GB .img got error message at...

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

View more questions Search