Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Got2Know Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 02:50 AM
    98 Dodge Caravan A/C screams
    My dad's 1998 Dodge Caravan makes a horrible screaming noise when running the A/C. It's so awful I have to turn it off.
    The noise doesn't start immediately. The A/C can run for several minutes, before it starts to squeal. It gets worse when accelerating.
    I have replaced all the belts already. Someone told me the compressor is bad. However, the air gets ice cold, so the compressor obviously works. What could be causing this?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
    The problem may not be the actual compressor, but the drive pulley that is on the front. If the bearing on that pulley is failing, the condition becomes more noticeable when it is allowed to heat up, like during operation. Does the noise occur only when the A/C is run?

Find someone who can diagnose this and possible replace just the pulley, clutch and coil.

You may need to replace the entire compressor, but only if the compressor is the component that actually failed or has been damaged by the failed pulley.
    Got2Know Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 02:43 AM
    So far, the noise occurs only when the A/C is running. Like I said, the air gets cold, so I think the compressor is doing what it's supposed to do. I will try to find a shop that will check into what you've told me. Thanks for your help... Wish me luck.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Look at the belt yourself... find the longest span and push. Does the tension seem "weak"?
    You can take your vehicle to a shop and simply ask for a second opinion about the belt and the belt tensioner. The should be able to explain in simple terms exactly what your vehicle needs. Let us know...
    Goodluck, G2K!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 dodge caravan [ 2 Answers ]

It is hestant when taking off from a stop sign and then again at high speedsthe service engine light is now on

No power from 96' Dodge Caravan [ 2 Answers ]

Lately, after idling at a stop sign, my 96' Dodge Caravan has very little power when I push on the gas. I have to push the gas pedal quite a ways down before it will even go. It doesn't always do it, but enough for me to know something's wrong. (It has over 100,000 miles on it if that helps) I'm...

2000 Dodge caravan [ 1 Answers ]

When I hit the breaks the doors unlock and lock and the interior lights blink. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

View more questions Search