Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cameronhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Herpes- HIV?
    I was with a new partner whom I had unprotected sex with about 5 weeks ago. He said he was clean and had been tested etc. But the other day I found small white coloured bumps on the inside of my vagina. When I touched them the skin came of and they just bled very easily. There were a few in clusters and it is sometimes painful when sitting down etc. I went to the doctors yesterday and had a test done for herpes- I am still awaiting the results but am sick with worry so would just like some opinions. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics. I have taken two of the pills and all but one sore has disappeared but it is still a bit sore.

I just want to know if you think this is herpes and I'm also worried that seeing as I got this from my partner what else may I have got. I am worried I may have gotten HIV or something as well. Is there anythign else that the sores could be? I have also been sick with flu like symptoms which I know are symptoms of herpes but I did also have an ear infection so it may just be the flu.

Please help.
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameronhouse
    I was with a new partner whom i had unprotected sex with about 5 weeks ago. He said he was clean and had been tested etc. But the other day i found small white coloured bumps on the inside of my vagina. When i touched them the skin came of and they just bled very easily. There were a few in clusters and it is sometimes painful when sitting down etc. I went to the doctors yesterday and had a test done for herpes- i am still awaiting the results but am sick with worry so would just like some opinions. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics. I have taken two of the pills and all but one sore has dissapeared but it is still a bit sore.

I just want to know if you think this is herpes and im also worried that seeing as i got this from my partner what else may i have got. I am worried i may have gotten HIV or something aswell. Is there anythign else that the sores could be? I have also been sick with flu like symptoms which i know are symptoms of herpes but i did also have an ear infection so it may just be the flu.

Please help.
    If the doctor suspected Herpes, he should NOT have given you antibiotics since Herpes Simplex is a virus. Usually they will give Valtrex or its counterparts. Regardless... take all the medication, don't stop taking it because symptoms have disappeared.
    Sure you could have the flu, most of us have had in the last few months. I know I have...
    But influenza won't give you vaginal symptoms. The symptoms you are describing does sound like herpes, but there is no way for us to tell.
    My suggestion? If the doctor told you straight forward he is treating you for herpes and took a herpes culture (swabbed a lesion) and he gave you an antibiotic... see a different doctor. Wait to get your blood tests for about a month, as the titers won't be high enough to detect the viruses you are mentioning. Good luck. And remember to be safe in the future.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Well. A few possibilities.

1. Sores are from herpes. In this case, the antibiotics shouldn't do anything for you, as herpes is a viral infection... so they're just clearing up on their own.

2. Sores are NOT from herpes, but a bacterial infection. In this case, then the antibiotics are helping you. This doesn't mean you're completely free from herpes and other stds.

3. Sores are NOT from herpes, but other viral infections. This is possible as the sores you describe can be genital warts from HPV. In this case, the antibiotics are again, useless.

The doc gave you antibiotics to eliminate possible bacterial infections you may have.

The bumps could also just be general irritation due to clothing.

I'd hate to scare you, but the HIV is a possibility as the early symptoms for HIV include flu-like/cold-like symptoms. Has your doctor checked for HIV as well?

Best wishes.
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 7, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Good point about the antibiotics for other conditions and HPV. She just made it seem like the doctor was only looking for herpes. In that case I think we can both agree, that doctor got his license off a TV infomercial. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 10:52 PM
    I have no idea whether this is herpes, you'll have to wait for your test results. You had unprotected sex so anything is possible, that's the risk you take when you don't protect yourself. If you don't have herpes then consider yourself lucky and start using protection, if you do then I guess you just learned a very difficult leason.

Good Luck.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 02:27 PM
    You can look online at some of the pictures of genital herpes to see if your bumps look anything like the photos.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Threads Merged
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
    It is possible you picked up many other things. NEVER trust someone and have unprotected sex!
    Most do not tell the truth and state they are carriers. With HIV, a lot people find out way after numerous sex encounters, then they have to go and contact all those.
    Let this be a lesson, always use a condom!
    wnk_1001 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Apr 9, 2008, 10:46 PM
    What is the name of the medication prescribed to you by the doctor?
    PR809 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Is there further complications when you already got herpes simplex? And if I would have sex with someone who is in good health could he be infected too even if I take VALTREX everyday?
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Yes. If you have the herpes simplex, your body's immune system is relatively compromised. Your body will be more susceptible to HIV, meningitis, encephalitis, pneumonia, airway infection, etc. Also, the herpes virus could potentially spread to other parts of your body such as your skin. Granted, these complications are relatively uncommon, they do happen.

Taking valtrex simply suppresses your outbreaks, which reduces the chance of spreading herpes but that doesn't mean that the chances are gone. It's like taking cough medicine when you have a cold. You're suppressing the cough, which reduces the chance of spreading the virus to someone by coughing on them, but even then, there's a good chance you'll spread it.

If you're infected with herpes simplex 2 (genital herpes) and your partner is not infected, it's best to use safe sex methods.

Jul 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Yes I know how this virus works I study BS Biology prep course for medicine. But unfortunately my partner infect me with this virus and now I feel my life would never be the same again. Now I want to know what if the day comes and I would want to have a baby, is it possible that my new partner could have sex with me?
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:06 PM
    1. If your partner infected you with this virus knowingly, while you were unaware, depending on your state laws, he may have committed a crime.

2. As far as the pregnancy is concerned, if you are studying pre-med, then you should know that there's a good chance you may pass the infection to the baby, in which case, can be fatal to the child.

3. As I said before, if your new partner and you have unprotected sex, even if you are taking valtrex or any acyclovir medication, you can pass the infection to your new partner.

Jul 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
    That's the question I've ask about legal advice because my partner who infect me with this virus is running away from the crime he made and he is supposed to help me with the medication, isn't right to say this?

I have a book about pregnancy and it says that the baby wouldn't be infected if I will undergo cesarean method, is that correct?
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Many doctors will suggest a c-section for the delivery if the infected mother is showing signs of a breakout. Of course, it will be up to your doctor whether he/she'll suggest a c-section. You can read about it here:

I have herpes. Will I need a C-section? - Health - MSNBC.com

Jul 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Thank you
    I will go to the clinic to get the result my OB-GYN told me to come back that maybe she needs to give me additional medication for my case
    I know ain't alone about my case still feels horrible
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Best wishes. Hope things work out.

Jul 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
    I went to get my lab result yesterday and negative for other bacterial symptoms
    But still I feel worse that I have this virus for lifetime
    OB-GYN told me it wouldn't infect if I don't have liezures or how would I spell it
    I'll come back again to her next month after my period
    That's for papsmear, could it help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Herpes [ 5 Answers ]

Can you receive herpes from someone infected through smoking a cigarette behind them?

What is herpes? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had check ups by a gyno and all seems well, but for the last 5 or so years, I have had a bump show up on the hair area down there. It shows up maybe 2 or three times a year, so I always forget to ask about it at the gyno. Once he saw it and said what is that, and I said I don't know, and...

Herpes. What do you think? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm 18, just found out that I have contracted herpes at some point or another and now I'm a little confused. I've been with the same guy for the past 6 months and neither of us has messed around with other people. He was tested for STD but wasn't aware of the fact that they don't test for...

Do I have herpes [ 6 Answers ]

I had sex with my boyfriend than. The next day I was sore. Than I broke out with blisters down there a couple days after. The doctor says its herpes but didn't take a swab test. Can someone please help me.

View more questions Search