Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ampersandra Posts: 70, Reputation: 10

Apr 7, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Strangers as roommates
    Hi there. I'm just moving to a city about 200km from where I am now. I don't have any contacts in the new city so I've resorted to searching online for apartments and roommates. I've chatted quite a few potential roommates and finally found one guy who actually seems normal and reliable. :p

We exchanged contact information a couple weeks ago and I'm typing this right after our phone call. We have some basic ideas of what we're looking for, and will go more in depth about this when we meet. So far, here's what we've agreed on:
    - the maximum amount of money we're willing to spend
    - utilities like water, electricity, etc.
    - neither of us need a television
    - laundry facilities

But I could only think of two things to discuss when we meet:
    - furniture for public spaces like the living room and kitchen
    - music volume levels

I'm sure there are other issues that I've neglected. What other things do we need to bring up?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Criminal records? Drug use? Friends staying over? Pets? Alcohol use? Escape clause if it doesn't work out... will you both be on the lease? Will only one? Use of other's property?

Job history? Credit worthiness? Is this plutonic arrangement?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ampersandra
    What other things do we need to bring up?
    Adding to oneguyinohio's post :
    What about "personal time" arrangements, when you have a friend over at the apartment, and do not need a roomy for a couple of hours or night?
    What about "absolute no no's" between you two? (I understand that you two are of different gender).
    ;)

Apr 7, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Hmm... well his profile mentions that he is working 2 jobs (one is professional, the other is freelance) and that he rarely has friends stay overnight. Neither of us have pets.

Would asking about criminal records sound a bit weird though? I'd personally feel weird if someone asked me about it, even though I have nothing on me. Or is there some way of bringing it up without seeming overly paranoid?

Drug/alcohol use doesn't seem to be a huge problem considering a lot of his time would be spent on work, and I can tolerate it as long as I don't cough my lungs out. He's mentioned that he prefers potential roommates to smoke outside anyway. Still, should I ask about it anyway just to make sure?

Hahaha... I know a lot of people tend to pick up on the fact that I'd be roomming with a male. I've done it before and actually tend to get a long better with males as roommates than females. (They tolerate my messiness more, as long as it's not overboard.) I'm assuming it's platonic since he sound like he's level-headed on the phone and from the way he writes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
    You're to embarrassed to ask about his criminal records? I'd rather be embarrassed than find out the hard way that I'm living with a convicted murderer. You don't know this man from Adam, if he has nothing to hide than asking for a criminal record shouldn't be a problem, and it shouldn't be a problem for you to supply one as well.

Also, who's paying for food, and is it free for all or eat what you buy and nothing else?

You're assuming it's platonic? Do you know what happens when you assume?

You have allot to figure out before you move in together.

Good Luck.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Can you have a police background check done on him? There's no such thing as being too safe.

What about vehicles? Do you both have one? Who gets the premium parking space?

Groceries? Do you split on things you both will eat/use or do you shop separately and have your own space for your purchases?

Cleaning? How are you going to share responsibility of cleaning the common areas?

Medical concers? Allergies?

Whose name will the utilities go in? Can they be in both?

Just a few.

Apr 7, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    You're assuming it's platonic? Do you know what happens when you assume?
    So far, nothing. As I've said, I've lived with males before, some of which I didn't know until I moved in. Come to think of it, I've never done background checks on them either. I'm still alive and gained a few close friends in the process.

I was actually hoping for concerns that are less about what potential harm he might do to me, although I may give in and actually do the background check. However, my main concern is with things that we may have to compromise on like allergies or medical issues, as flossie mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAJOR Aggression toward dogs and strangers - HAS BITTEN [ 6 Answers ]

I adopted a 2 year old St. Bernard female approximately a month ago. At home, she is an ideal pet. WHen I got her, she was not very obedience trained; however, is an incredibly trainable dog. In the month I have had her, she has learned or relearned "sit, lay down, wait, no, stay, come, go to...

Name of sheep in perfect strangers [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: OK guys this is a good one... my boss at work wants to no the name of Balki's stuffed sheep, on the show of perfect strangers!? I told him I knew who to ask... you guys... help! Thanks...

Roommates on lease [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Washington state, in order to rent an apartment anyone over the age of 18 has to sign the lease. My daughter signed the leased and has since angerly moved out. She refused to sign the movement form the apartment asked me to have sign in order to be removed from the lease. Meanwhile,...

Lab pup going nuts in presence of strangers [ 5 Answers ]

Any suggestions for controlling a 7 month old lab who jumps onto new people. He is very obiedient when he is with the family but when new people come over or when meeting new people and dogs on walks he will get very excited and jump all over the person no matter how much I say "no", "off", or...

View more questions Search