Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchoo Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Footings for 4 season sunroom
    Hi,

I live in a area where it gets very cold in the winter time. Looking at building a 4 season sunroom, but I'm not sure what kind of footings I need. Don't really want a backhoe in my yard for concrete footings/foundation digging. Anything out there for adjustable heights that can be applied to existing patio blocks or any other ideas ?

Thanks
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
    You'll have to dig foundations regardless. It's a decision of whether you want to dig for sonotubes (typically with a poured concrete pad underneath the sonotube) or strip foundations. It should be designed properly by an architect or engineer... or someone familiar with your local building code, and you should get a building permit for anything this major.

You don't need a backhoe. We found a young kid/ bodybuilder who looked at digging as just more exercise - one day's digging should be more than enough for a sunroom
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 7, 2008, 07:59 PM
    If you live where it gets very cold... you need to get below the frost level... in the mid west that means 4' below ground level... you would have to hire one heck of a kid to dig that much in a day. I would get a back hoe... grass seed is cheap.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 08:32 PM
    If you live in a town or area covered by building codes you probably have less to consider than you think. The previous opinions are correct and it's higly likely you will be required to have a full foundation, my town told me right up fron that 90% of all 3 and 4 season rooms turn into living spaces so they must conform to the same requirements set forth for the house.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 8, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the1unv
    you would have to hire one heck of a kid to dig that much in a day.
    Yes he was :-) He is a budding Arnold Schwarzeneggar. He had 5 sonotube holes ranging from 3 to 6 feet deep with space for 36x36 pads at the bottom plus a strip footing for a 18' long wall done in three days. I have never seen anyone work that diligently with a shovel.

We would have had a backhoe, but there was no access to the backyard.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
    :-)) Well rtw_travel... I hope to heck you paid him in cash and not in food... you may have needed a loan.
    Mike
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 08:40 PM
    jchoo - B1 gave you some good advise, What you need to do is go down to city hall9 That is where the building dept is , If not ask them wher you have to go to find out about the building codes and to get the permit at . I don't know why you don't want a backhoe in the back yard for? What about the COncrete truck? The yard can be repaired . But if you intend to have someone bring the concrete to the location in the back yard ( THEN YOU BETTER GET READY TO PAY OVERTIME CHARGERS FOR THE CONCRETE TRUCK TO BE THERE LONGEER THEN THEY A lot< ALSO YOU MAY END UP WITH HOT CONCRETE ) JUST some things for you to think about::: Maybe you can hire muscles to do your digging and pouring of concrete, ( YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE BUILDING CODES ARE ) Good Luck And GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    cecilgrass Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 12:36 PM

Some great answers here, was going to ask the same since I'm getting a <a href="http://www.elitelifestylesunrooms.com/">sunroom</a> built by Elite Lifestyle Sunrooms | NatureScape Sunrooms | Outdoor Patio Covers and I just didn't know much about the process. Thankfully they take care of most of this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Footings for a beam [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm back. I have a quick question that I hope one of you can answer. I am trying to rebuild my deck. I have to redig footings for the beam since the previous owners did it incorrectly. I tried to dig the one on the end about a foot in but I got about a foot down and hit what seems to be a...

Concrete house piers and footings [ 2 Answers ]

Can concrete piers and footings be safely poured in wet saturated clay ground.Rain has occurred over last 2 weeks and is forecast on and off for next month.

Felicity Season One [ 3 Answers ]

In Season One, Episode 2(The Last Stand), what is the song playing when Felicity is sitting in the Cafeteria, and Julie comes in to talk to her. I've heard they replaced music in some of the Seasons, but I don't know if they did that here. Some cites claim it is the Sarah Maclachlan song "Good...

Concrete Pillars & Footings [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to install a pair of gates on 2' x 2' block (filled with rebar and concrete) pillars. Each gate panel is about 13' high x 6' wide and weighs about 850 pounds. One gate company indicated that the footings should be 6' x 6' x 4' deep while another indicated 3' x 3' x 3' deep. Does...

View more questions Search