Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    I've believe I've changed my mind with this and Alty's info. I did have my Dobies tails done, but it was probably more than 20 yrs ago, and the vet did tell me it was for hygiene and health reasons. Guess I learned something new today. :)

If it is only for aesthetic reasons and outward appearance, there is no reason to unnecessarily put a little fur babe through the pain of that experience. Like I had mentioned, it didn't seem to have any ill effects on my Dobies, but maybe they were just lucky. Or maybe they were just trying to be tough guys...awww, now I feel bad for doing it. :( I didn't know! I guess that's why you should always do your research right?
    You didn't know then, you do know now. We learn new things every day, no need to feel bad about decisions made long ago, and as you said your Doberman was fine.

When we got our poodle he was already 5 months old, his parents were show dogs, they cropped his tail shortly after he was born. Like I said our poodle had back problems all of his life. Our wonderful vet, whom I adore and trust completely, said that it was possible that the problems resulted from the tail being docked, but purebred poodles inheritently have back problems anyway, so that might not have been the case. He was one of the first vets that I know of that wouldn't preform tail dockings or ear dockings. He felt that it was completely unnecessary unless there was an infection.

Naomi, I'm glad that you've decided to leave the pups the way nature intended, especially since the vet did say it was for cosmetic reasons. They are so lucky to have someone as dedicated to their welfare as you are. I'm glad that they are in your care.

Good Luck.

Oh, I'll post on how to post pictures another time, okay?
    naomprice Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Hi all I just wanted to let all know that the pups and mommy are doing good. The pups are starting to open their eyes and are already getting big! We have named them Elizabeth, Emily and Jack(because he looks like a little pirate with his eye patch). Mommy has been named Angel. All checked out good with the vet and are healthy. I just got a new camera so I am going to try and post some new pictures. By the way does anyone have any suggestions for leach training an older dog? Angel is terrified of the leach and if I put it on her she freaks out. I have been able to get he to step outside now - no leach about 5 feet from the door to go potty but she is still scared of going out but is starting to get a little better.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 21, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I'm glad to hear momma and babes are all well. Those are cute names for the pups, and Angel is perfect for mom! :)

Poor Angel is probably afraid of being abandoned on the streets again. Did your vet give you any idea how old she might be?

Check out this site. They have a lounge and the people there are all try to help you with your dog questions much like here, except it's all about dogs specifically.

Dog Tricks Training Lessons Online

Hope that helps you a bit. Can't wait to see the pics! :D
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
    She's probably afraid of leaving her babies, they are still very dependent on her. I'd wait until the babies are weaned before attempting any kind of training. It could also be that she suffered abuse and part of it happened while on leash. Give her time and love and she'll come around, I'm sure of it.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Try using a short leash, 4 ft and just putting it on her and letting her drag it around. That way she can get used to it. Please supervise when doing this to make sure it doesn't get caught on anything. I agree with Altenweg that you should wait until the pups are weaned.

Apr 22, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Ok I can't seem to get my pictures to come through of the pups but I was able to put a picture of the mommy, Angel under my sign in name. If any one knows how to post let me know. I tried the link to post them, but it still won't work - stumped.
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 08:07 PM
    It's probably because the pics are to large, try resizing.

The momma is gorgeous, what a sweetie, can't wait to see the pups.

Once again, congrats and bravo for being such a kind caring person. :)

Apr 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
    I am posing a picture of one of the pups under my screen name. This is Jack the little boy. For some reason there seems to be an error when I try resizing so I am just not having any luck posting to the site, so I'll put a new picture on to show everyone the family, one at a time.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Awwww... look at baby Jack the pirate :) What a sweet looking little guy! Love it! Give your adopted momma lots 'o' licks Jack!
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Jack is such a cutie, what a little angel, love the eye patch, tooooo cute. Those pups and momma are so lucky that you found them and that they found you, it was fate. :)
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I agree, my neighbor had a pup (shelter dog) with his ears done, and u could clearly see that they had messed up when doing it! They were sad, scarred up, and healed up "crooked"!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just Got an IUD and Found out I'm pregnant [ 6 Answers ]

I Just put an IUD in 2 days ago. They asked me at the doctors if I was pregnant and I said no. Later the thought occurred to me that I really might be pregnant because no birth control is 100% effective. I took a test today and it was positive. 2 months ago I became pregnant and had a...

I just turned 18 and found out pregnant [ 8 Answers ]

OK well I have been with this guy off and on for 6 months and we found out that I am pregnant the day after my b-day and until that day he had never hit me or even raised his hand to hit me that night he hit me in the face ans he done it again tonight I just want to get him back for all the he has...

Just found out I am pregnant. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I am 21 years old and just found out last night that I am pregnant. This obviously wasn't a planned pregnancy. How do I tell my boyfriend? I am worried and scared. Not to even think what my parents will say... Thank you for your comments.

Just found out that I'm pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Just found out I'm pregnant, but unsure when I had my last period. My belly is quite bloated, I've been more hungry than usual. When I sqeeze my nipples as there is white dots on my nipple, I have clear fluid come out, I didn't think you have this until later pregnancy. This is my fourth pregnancy....

View more questions Search