Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Dog collar sizes
    We all know that a dog's collar should fit snuggly, but with enough room to allow two fingers to slip underneath it. But where on the dog's neck do you measure that? Trink's got a roughly triangular neck. If the collar is tight up by the ears, she will choke if it slides down her neck. And if it fits down by the shoulders, it's almost falling off up by the ears. So... do you pick the middle of the neck, or what?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
    I have 2 collars on my Jack Daniels (Russell). One is a slip chain that I use to clip her leash to and the other is a blue web style that I have her license tag on. This blue collar is loose on her neck. I use the slip chain collar to keep her from slipping the blue collar and chasing cars or cats. The dual collar thing works for my Twinkie. I take off the chain collar when in the house and just leave the blue collar on. For an 11 lb dog she is quite strong.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
    A trainer will often say to keep it high on the neck, easier to make corrections when on a leash. I've got one of those freakish dogs that's head is smaller around than her neck. She is able to escape in ANY flat collar OR harness in her fearful fits, so we now use a nylon slip collar.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I should clarify... when on walks I am currently using a harness due to some neck issues. The collar I am concerned about is the one with her tags that she wears 24/7.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Just make sure that she cannot slip her neck out of it herself. If you keep the collar at a comfortable loose setting (like what is pictured in your picture) your dog will be okay. You've already solved the walking problem by using a harness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New collar and blue collar [ 14 Answers ]

What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a new collar workers would not want the same benefits and clout that blue workers were able to get by unionization? What might be some of...

New Collar vs Blue Collar [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of occupational do service workers have? Would unionzation may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a "new collar" worker not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionization? What might be some of the...

Prong Collar [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who has gotten into a method of training that I do not approve of. I think that the prong is a mean and harmful way to teach the dog to do things and she will not listen because she thinks her way is best. I know this has nothing to do with dogs or sick dogs. I need help in...

New collar and blue collar workers [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any reason why a "new collar" workers would not want the same benefits and clouts that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing?

Drain pipe sizes and venting sizes [ 4 Answers ]

1.) What dia. Drain pipe is used for the shower/tub? 2" ? Is that ID or OD? 2.) What dia vent pipe is for the shower/tub? 2"? 3.) I'm going to put a vent in for the shower/tub in my basement. It starts at the slab then goes straight up about 7ft. And then does a 90 and then is running...

View more questions Search