Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nizzo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
    About "Forums"
    Hey, I’ve seen a lot of “how to make your own forum explanations” but NEVER have I got the answer I needed. So I hope that some of you guys can help me…

Well, here it goes.
    I’m building a website, and I want to add a forum to it. I know all the free-forum sites and all the “build-your-for-free-and-fast-here” sits. What I want to do is to make a forum WITHIN my site’s layout/design.

For example: when people click on the “forum” button on my site, I don’t want them to take off to a hole other design, I want my forum to be open WITHIN my design, I want them to be able to still see all the other things and still see the logo in the upper left corner. So the forum should be on a “PAGE” within my site. And the visitor shuld still have the menu on the right side of the screen and the forum in a new "div tag" on the left side and under the "head"... I don’t know how to make this any clearer, so I hope that you will understand.

PS
    My site is still in Dreamweaver and is not finished, so I haven’t bought any web services or web hotels.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Why don't you make the link referring to a "blank" page? (add _blank to the link). You can also add size restrictions to that new page (for instance 90%), so part of the old page can still be seen, if you locate the page left or right. A _blank page provides a new page on top of the original page, instead of replacing the original page.
    Alternatively you can use frames, which you can set to any size, and have the forum in one of these frames.

Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;)
    IT Helpp Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Your best best is to create a page using the <iframe> tag for the forum site.
    This tag will effectively put the forum webpage inside your webpage.

Here is a source for some <iframe> tips.

HTML IFRAME TAG
    Nizzo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for the answers. Unfortunately it's not the answer that I'm looking for. Well anyway I'm going to rate your answers solely on the fact that you took the time to try answering my question. Well, maybe this picture will make my argument (SEE BOTOM). I hope that you can answer me how I can build a forum that looks like this. Thanks for your time... Hope that this helps you answer my question... (THIS WEBSITE IS JUST FOR SHOW)...
    PIC 1 of 2
    ImageShack - Hosting :: nizzo1cd3.jpg

PIC 2 of 2
    ImageShack - Hosting :: nizzo2gw2.jpg

And if you're wondering, yes that's my current website (well just a “prototype” if you like), unfortunately its build in free software (www.freewebs.com)... The software is actually very good but it doesn't have the flexibility that I want... They have great BUILT forums but I can't use it in my "real website" that I'm making... I'm making my website from scratch in Dreamweaver and if you want to add "freewebs" forum in you website the website must use a "freeweb" tamplet, be hosted and produced in their webpage builder, with I mentioned earlier isn't an option because it's not flexible enough.

Now there is a second website whose forum I would like with a couple of minor adjustments, you can find it here:
    NEXT-EPISODE.NET FORUMS

Although I rather go with the first option, thanks for taking the time to read and answer my question
    // Nizzo

P.S
    Sorry for posting this is the "answering" section...
    IT Helpp Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Apr 10, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software

This site has free forums that you can post on your own server. Even better, they give you all the tools necessary to create your template or customize your own design. Here is one of my clients that uses the forum.

Divorce Pampering Community - Index
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 10:44 AM

I am having problems trying to post a question similar to you?
    How do I ask a aquestion in this section on Frames. When I go in it comes back saying usie a proper title!!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi,
    I have read the answers you have received, and it would seem no one knows a lot about CMSs or CMFs. I would humbly suggest that you check Drupal at:
    drupal.org | Community plumbing
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS Not a fan of frames, but you could check W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

View more questions Search