Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akbuddana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Lot of questions... confused... please help
    Hello,

I arrived in the US in Aug 2001, been on F-1 until September 2005. Got my H-1 on Oct 1st 2005.
    Joined Company A in May 2005 but their pay roll deducted my ssn and medicare taxes not considering my status.
    Changed to company B in Dec 2005.
    My questions are:
    1)I am a non-resident right? I am not passing the substantial presence test.
    2) Should I fill 1040NR or 1040 NR EZ? I have the bank interest statements but read that these interests need not be reported.
    3) I am reimbursed by both the companies in the moving expenses. Should I report them? I think the w-2 box 1 includes these, right?
    4) I have state taxes from TN,OH and CA. I am now in CA. Should I use the state taxes instead of standard deductions
    5) Can I claim my ssn and medicare taxes? If so, how?

Please help...

Thanks a lot,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 11:44 PM
    1) No, you are dual-status.

2) You file both. The interest earned from 1 Oct 05 on must be reported on the Form 1040.

3) The moving expense reimbursements is probably included in the Box 1 figure. Ask your employer. If so, then report the moving expenses using Form 3903, regardless of how you file.

4) Since Tennessee (TN) does not have a state income tax, you cannot have state taxes withheld for TN. If the combined state taxes withheld from Ohio and California exceeds $5,000, then claim them as itemized deductions instead of the standard deduction.

5) You cannot claim your SS and Medicare taxes as deductions.
    quin Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    1) No, you are dual-status.

2) You file both. The interest earned from 1 Oct 05 on must be reported on the Form 1040.

Does this mean that during F1 status, we don't have to report(pay tax for) the interest earned in saving bank accounts??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2006, 12:11 AM
    The earlier guidance was not accurate. You have to claim any interest earned in a U.S. bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Confused [ 26 Answers ]

Recent events over the last couple of weeks have left me confused and I need a little outside comments. Just a quick recap... last Dec 05 my ex girlfriend and I broke up and she told me to never contact her again and that I should leave her alone and I needed to start seeing other people. I...

Confused [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Im a grade nine student right now, and I really need help with this math problem. It's for science class though. We're currently doing things related to density and such, and my teacher really confused me when explaining conversion. So, I need to convert this... D = 27.3g / 18.87...

View more questions Search