Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edwkl024 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Association vs. Landlord
    I am currently trying to rent out my 2 bedroom /2 bath condo to this 2 guys that is currently renting a place within the same building. They expressed interest in renting my place and gave me a deposit. Unfortunately, when I approached the association about this decision, they told me that they will not approved this. The reason they gave me is that under the condo rules, our unit is strictly for single family purposes. They insisted that they are no roommate situation.

I have demanded an answer as to why they have approved them to stay in the other unit for more than six month in the first place. Their reasoning is they have made an error and they are rectifying it right now.

So my question is, does the association has the right to do so?

Please advice.

:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
    From what I understand an association can make any rules they want.
    I don't know if they are allowed to go against the fair housing act though.

Fair Housing Act
    Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents of legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
    If they were a "couple" not two people, but with two people the issue of multi family dewling or rooming house status ca be an issue.

But if they have this in their rules, ask to see written documentation
    edwkl024 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Yes, they do have it written in the document that the condo is for single family dwelling. But how can they enforced this? If the 2 guys claimed that they are partner, can the association challenge that? Won't this become intrusion of privacy or sexual discrimination? How can an association prove they are not "partner".

Secondly, the association allowed them to live in another condo unit for 6 months without any legal action taken. How can they enforce it now when they are merely transferring their lease to my unit.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
    If they say they are partners then they can get them for discriminating against homosexuals.
    I believe that is covered in the fair housing act as well at least in some states.
    I know it is discrimination in California
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Hello ed:

Before I give you my advice, I must offer this disclaimer: I HATE HOA'S. THEY'RE NAZI'S.

Having offered the above, I'd rent it anyway, and tell the HOA to stick it. I'm sure they're used to most of the people kissing their butts. They may not know how to deal with someone who does what he pleases. Certainly, if they sue you, you'll mention the other rental, of course...

I LOVE doing what I please with my OWN property.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner's association liens [ 1 Answers ]

There are several houses on our private road, and deeds include covenants that allow our "homeowners association" to assess for road maintenance, and stipulates a lien Can be placed on property for failure to pay. This ends up being about $ 75.00 per house Annually, and a one-time $ 150....

Homeowner's Association Dues [ 1 Answers ]

I am a member of a Homeowner's Association and we have yearly dues that mainly cover the repair of the irrigation system in our neighborhood. We have a few members who have never paid their share of the dues even though they use the irrigation system. I pay my dues, but do not use the irrigation...

Florida Landlord-Tennant-Association rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in a condo in Florida for more than a year. I had originally had a lease for 1 year. Keep in mind that my room mate know our landlord. After the year was up, my roommate moved in with another friend of mine. I now have another room mate in my condo. All of us signed new leases as...

Association Students Organization [ 1 Answers ]

Assume that the next meeting of your associated Students orzanization will discuss preparations for a careers day in the spring. The group will hear reports from committees working on speakers, business recruiters,publicity,reservations of canpus space,setup of booths,and any matters you can think...

View more questions Search