Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 11:39 AM
    What happens at a gastroenterologist visit?
    I'm a 31 year old female and my primary care physician just referred me to a gastroenterologist. What can I expect to happen?:confused:
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 7, 2008, 09:32 PM
    It depends on what condition you have that required the referral. Gasteroenterologists deal with the disorders of the digestive system - inflammatory bowel disease, hiatal hernia, severe acid refulx for a barium swallow study, colitis, h. pylori & ulcers, etc.
    Your doctor should have discussed your diagnosis with you at the time of the referral so you would know what to expect. If you let me know what he is referring you for, I will be able to get you more information on procedures / lab tests they will likely be performing. :)
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 01:28 AM
    I had to go for gastritis and ulcers. I had to go with another person, then they put me in a bed, gave me an IV and heart monitors, etc. Then they rolled me in the room, told me I would be getting sleepy, then I woke up and my mom had to drive me home. EVENTFUL, haha, I know! While I was asleep they ran a lighted scope down my throat into my stomach and small intestines. The only side effect was drowsiness and a slight sore throat.

It would be different though, if you were going in for another procedure, such as a colonoscopy, obviously different, haha!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAM, AND DON'T BE WORRIED, THEY DO THIS STUFF ALL DAY EVERYDAY!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visit to antigua [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me what are the do's and donts of visit to antigua.will b visiting mid feb.how is the tourist inflow in this month.

What tests in first visit? [ 2 Answers ]

We are planning to visit a obgyn after 1 year of trying to conceive.What are the preliminary tests normally done?Where will my husbands sperm test be done?Will the obgyn refer to some other doctor or will it be done in a lab?

First Dentist Visit [ 1 Answers ]

I have several cavities in my mouth and my top two wisdom teeth are broken (almost half of each of them is completely gone). Up until yesterday, nothing has bothered me as far as having pain. I was chewing a piece of gum yesterday and bit my cheek really hard - now the wisdom tooth on that side...

Visit me [ 2 Answers ]

visit me at my website which will soon have video game information on it. Site under construction I would like the people who go there to private message me

View more questions Search