Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dchipman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Bad tasting wine - what do you do?
    I was at a restaurant and ordered a $68 bottle of wine. The wine list said it was a 2002 Schlumberger cab but the server brought a 2003. She did not point out that fact and I did not make an issue of it. When the wine was opened, there was about a quarter inch of sediment on the end of the cork. I called attention to it and the server took a rag and wiped the neck of the bottle. When the wine was poured, it smelled okay but there was a very sharp taste to the wine. I apologized and said that was not what I expected and asked for a bottle of something else. I was told by the server and the manager that unfortunately the bottle was opened and there was nothing they could do about it. The manager tasted the wine and said it was very "tannic." Once I explained that the wine would ruin my steak the manager conferred with a colleague, came back to the table explaining that he would never take the bottle back ordinarily but would make an exception. I don't believe the wine was rancid. But it tasted awful like it had been bottled the month before. Should I have not sent the bottle back? Please advise.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
    For $68 I sure would have sent it back if I wasn't happy with it. But then again I can get decent Alsace wines at my local wine shop and wouldn't buy it in a restaurant anyway .

Was it their cabernet ?

Apr 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Yes. It was cab.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 03:40 PM
    I will assume they did not have a wine steward, but no I woiuld have sent it back and would not have paid for it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Oops then it was probably a domestic wine .
    Check out some reviews of the 2002 cab. Most are very favorable

2002 Michel-Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley) - CellarTracker!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 01:12 AM
    If your steak had been off would you have not sent it back and not paid?
    The wine was obviously corked and not drinkable you should have stood your ground they would have got there money back anyway.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 03:19 AM
    I think you were right to send it back.

They are supposed to pour a small amount into your glass so that you can test whether it is corked or not when it is opened, then wait to see if you want to send it back. Well they do that here in Europe anyway.

Sounds like the manager was either a) a moron not to realised it was corked or b) trying to cheat you.

Apr 8, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I shall not be so intimidated and trust my taste next time!
    kangabitt Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2008, 12:33 AM
    the server brought a 2003.
    I do not feel that it was inapporpriate to refuse the wine. It was not a 2002 as listed and it wasn't a good substitute. I would think twice about ordering again from that servery. The purpose of tasting is to verify to the server that the wine is acceptable.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
    I work as a server and I've had wine sent back a few times, it's not a big deal at all, the restaurant you were dining at obviously does not know wine etiquette.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Foul tasting water after new plumbing installed [ 5 Answers ]

I remodeled my kitchen a few months ago. Since I was going to have the water off in the kitchen for sometime, and I didn't have shut off valves at my kitchen sink, my son installed one for the hot water and one for the cold. After the water was turned back on, the water tastes foul. I had...

Bad Tasting Ice cubes [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I moved into a condo. After a week or so I noticed bad smelling water when first turned on. I was so excited to have ice maker but the ice cubes taste horrible. The previous owner remodeled kitchen and put washer and dryer in a utility closet that is located next to the refrigerator...

Bad tasting water from refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one year old GE profile side by side refrigeratotor. Recently the water from the dispenser started to taste bad (like dirt). At first I thought it might be a bad filter so I changed it - no improvement. I then removed the filter (bypassed it) but the water tasted the same. Water from...

Bad tasting water [ 1 Answers ]

We were having a problem getting hot water because we have a long run from the hot water heater to the kitchen and bathroom. The plumber recommended and installed a recirculating device near the hot water heater. Now the cold water from the taps tastes bad... a very strong taste of plastic.

View more questions Search