Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rek_col Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Tuition expense over scholarship amount
    Hi,

I would appreciate a little help with my taxes. I am a resident alien for tax purposes. My wife is a non-resident and we have elected to file taxes jointly as residents for 2007.
    For they ear 2007 my wife had a scholarship amount of 7000 from her school. 14 % of her scholarship was taxed. We had to pay a total of 9100 dollars as tuition for her FALL semester. My wife did not have any other earnings. Her 1042-S form for the fellowship saws the amount is non-qualified.

I have the following questions:

1) since the 7000 dollars fellowship was used for paying tuition isn't the fellowship amount
    Tax-free.

2) If the answer to the first question is yes then can I also claim a education(tuition credit) for the remaining 2100 dollars not covered by the fellowship.

Thanks for your help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
    1) Only $7,000 of the fellowship is tax-free; the rest is taxable.

2) Yes, you can claim the credit for the difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Out of State Tuition [ 3 Answers ]

The price jump from in-state to out-of-state tuition is INSANE. Is there any way to avoid it? Does anyone know for how long you have to be living in a state to be eligible for the in-state prices? For example, could you move to an apartment a week or a month before school starts and be able to pay...

In state tuition [ 1 Answers ]

My ex claimed my daughter in 2005 in order for her to get instate tuition. She has now decided to return to her residency at her mother's home to transfer to home state college and mom wants to claim her for 2006 tax exemption. Since she got reduced instate tuition in 2006-2007 will this now...

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

View more questions Search