Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tpatten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Filing taxes after selling a house
    My husband and I sold a house in July 2005 after living in the house a little over 3 years. I was curious what type of tax forms I need to use and if I can take into consideration a second mortgage that we had on the house?
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Feb 10, 2006, 03:38 PM
    If you had a gain of less than $500,000 on the sale, ($500k for a married couple, $250k for single) you do not have to report the sale on your tax return. The second mortgage- If you took out the second mortgage to do home improvements or repairs, then that interest is deductible on your schedule A (along w/ the interest from the 1st mortgage) if you itemize on your return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
    Well done, Lee Anne.

I could not have explained it better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling my house during chapter 7 [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if I can sell my house during a chapter 7 or if I have to wait until it's finalized. I am already 3 months behind on my payments and just filed 3 weeks ago. I also got a letter from a lawyers office saying that there was a creditors exam that I did not show up for and that there is a...

Selling a house under a chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

My husband recently filed a chapter 13 in Ohio. Are we able to sell our house?

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

Selling house after less than 2 yrs [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house a year and a half ago and may need to move because of my job. What do I need to know regarding taxes on the sale? If I put all the money from the sale of my house into a new house, will I be exempt from taxes?

View more questions Search