Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inquirer54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Gift taxes?
    My wife and I live in the USA. Her relatives have discovered some buried treasure in her home country. If we are given a share of this money, do we report it as income?
    Thanks for any help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Yes, this is self employed income. It is also subject to SE tax at 15.3%.

Apr 7, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the response. However, since the money is from overseas and a gift how is it considered "self employed" What is SE tax.
    Thanks,

Apr 8, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Actually if the money is received in a foreign country as a gift and is given in the form of a check, it can then be deposited in a bank in that country in the donee's account. There will be no tax liability when the money is transferred to the US. One must file Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts, (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf) if the gift you receive during the year is in excess of $100,000. This is just an information return and no payment is due.
    chernyl56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
    I watched the show Susie Orman, that great tax/money advice show. My husband and I are filing taxes, and we have a daughter going off to college. On her show she said "if you have a child starting college, then you should buy as many things that she'll need for freshman college year. We would then get these expenses as deductions for us. My husband and I bought her a car, a digital camera, a laptop, a phone, other supplies, etc. Is this true? I've searched, and haven't this info. Can you tell me specifically about this? Especially the car and laptop. She is going to a school where she needs a car. Also, can you tell me if you know any other deductions to make me aware of regarding this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Chernyl - I think what Ms. Orman may have been talking about is that you may qualify for either the Hope Credit or the Lifetime Learning credit. The amount you can deduct is based on the amounts of "qualified" tuition and expenses and is subject to limits based your adjusted gross income (AGI). From: Tax Topics - Topic 605 Education Credits

Qualified expenses do not include room and board, insurance, transportation, or other similar personal, living, or family expenses. Qualified expenses may include fees for books, supplies, and equipment only if the fees must be paid to the school for the student's enrollment or attendance. In addition, qualified expenses may include student activity fees if the fee must be paid to the school for the student's enrollment or attendance.

You claim the credits on form 8663.

The types of expenses you listed do not qualify for either of these credits.

One other option is that if your daughter has taken out a student loan the interest is deductible if used for tuition and qualified expenses, which can include equipment and necessary expenses such as transportation. So I think you can make the case that if you took out a loan to buy the laptop for school purposes, the interest on the loan is deductible.

You may also want to review IRS pub 970: Publication 970 (2007), Tax Benefits for Education

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an appropriate gift? [ 4 Answers ]

One of my nephews has just gotten engaged and I have no idea what to give as a gift. He got engaged on Tues. and registered on Thursday. When do I send the gift, there is talk of an engagement party this summer? I am very close to his mother and don't want to cause hard feelings. Is there a...

Taxes on money received as gift from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I were to receive some money as gift from abroad a) do I need to declare the money in my US tax returns? b) will there be tax implications? Thanks for your help,

Estate taxes and gift taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

Gift taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, THanks for you great advices and suggestions. I have a question? If your friend gives you some money as gift like around $15,000 Do we need to pay taxes on it? If yes how much tax do we need to pay

View more questions Search