Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johns1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
    JI visa holder from INdia
    Hi,
    I'm an Indian national on J1 visa. I was not aware of the tax exemption treaty and I did not claim for federal tax withholding reimbursement in the last two years. As a result, many of my colleagues got quite a lot in tax returns than I. Now I'm in my third year of stay in the US and still on J1 visa. Is there any way I can claim for reimbursements that I did not make over the past 2 years. And what are the implications of continuing to stay on J1 visa after 2 years after you make such a claim.
    lyndafiddle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 09:29 AM
    As a UK citizen working in the US on a J1 I've assimilated some information on this but am by no means an expert. Basically, you can technically only claim exemption on a tax treaty if you are in the US for 2 years or less and then leave. If this is the case, you do not pay tax to either the US or Indian governments. If you had gone back to India after 2 years, you could have claimed all those taxes back. However, if you are in the US for longer than 2 years, you lose all rights to claiming the exemption. The danger is that if you have claimed exemption, you can then be asked to pay all those taxes back. Because you are in your third year, you have technically done the right thing, and paid your taxes - I would leave it at that.
    happylittle1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Thanks Lynda -- very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

E3 Visa holder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on an E3 Australian treaty holder visa. Do I get any exemption from paying social security and medicare taxes. I am employed by a US employer. Does the totalization treaty come into effect for this?

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

J1 visa holder- Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Iam a J1 visa holder who came to USA in march 2005. Since then I am here in usa. I am a citizen of India. So I am actually eligible for the tax treaty exemption benefits for the first two years of my say here in USA. My programme of stay makes me stay here for more than two years of...

View more questions Search