Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadava Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Compaq N400c
    Have asked about this problem before and had computer fixed at shop however the problem has re occurred. I cannoy get into the operating system it flashed up a warning message feom windows then it shut down.Since restarting all I keep getting is the Compaq screen then a black screen with white writing saying start in safe mode,enable VGA mode etc.
    I am not computer literate but I cannot afford to keep taking this to a shop to be repaired, if anyone can help to get me onto the operating system which is windows XP professional, I would be very grateful.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2006, 02:01 PM
    So it says to start in Safe Mode, what happens when you do this ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Ummm, if the shop fixed the problem, what did they say was wrong? And if they claimed to have fixed it and its reocurring then they should fix it again for free since they didn't do the job the first time around.

Feb 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Nothing happens when I try to start in safe mode, and all the shop said at the time that it had some corrupt files but did not go into any deatails didn't charge a fortune only A tenner and said he had ran a disc to clean it up.
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2006, 02:11 PM
    What do you mean by "nothing happens when I try to start in safe mode"
    Please expand.

If it only cost a tenner then, as Scott suggested, take it back and get them to explain exactly what they have done.

Feb 10, 2006, 02:14 PM
    When I try to start it in safe mode it refers me back to the Compaq welcome screen then counts down to windows starting then goes back to Compaq screen.
    But thanks I will take it back to shop tomorrow.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Sounds like a corrupted Registry to me.

Feb 10, 2006, 03:02 PM
    How do I go about fixing this?

Feb 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadava
    how do I go about fixing this?
    What you will probably need to do is boot to the Windows CD and run the Repair option.

Feb 11, 2006, 03:21 AM
    I know this sounds silly but I do not know how to do this.

Feb 11, 2006, 04:39 AM
    Just spoke to shop they have asked to return computer. I will let you know what happens.
    Many thanks for your advice.
    BossMan

Feb 11, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Make sure that when you get it back from the shop you ask them exactly what the problem was and how they fixed it.
    This will help you a great deal as and when it happens again.

Feb 11, 2006, 05:55 AM
    I will and I have also asked him to provide me with a recovery disc this time.
    Many thanks.
    Will let you know what happens

Feb 11, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Shut down your PC, place the Windows CD in your drive and turn it back on again. It should boot to the CD and offer options just follow instructions to get to the Repair option.

Feb 14, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Have received laptop back it is now working fine with no data lost.
    I asked what the problem had been and they said I must have been turning it off by button instead of logging off, when I explained that I always log off correctly they then said a power surge could have caused it.
    I think they just done a non destructive recovery, which is the screen that I cannot get onto and I don't have a windows cd to boot from.
    I have heard you can get them from eBay so will have a look on there.
    Many thanks for your help but I think without knowing how to get to the recovery screen this shop will keep making money off me every other week or so!

Feb 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
    I strongly suggest you get yourself an external DVD burner or hard drive and a copy of Norton Ghost or Acronis Tru-Image. What you can then do is create your one recovery disks. Either of them will allow you to make an exact copy of your hard drive onto an external drive or a DVD Or set of DVDs. If you encount such problems, you can replace your current configuration with the cloned image. You will need to keep your data backed up, but this will give you a chance to start from a clean configuration.

Feb 14, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Okay many thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq #7462 Won't boot up [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older Compaq desk top. When the trouble started I would be able to boot it up by using the manual on off switch and clicking it on and off several times and it would finally come on ,but now it will not boot up. All that happens is that the indicator light comes on by the on off switch...

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

Evo N400c pointer wanders [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if anyone can help , I have an evo n400c laptop running xp service pack 2. I have been getting this intermittent problem where the mouse wanders out of control across the screen. I have a pointer instead of a touchpad. I have looked at processes running and there doesn't...

Compaq n400c need help [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: purchased the compaq N400c laptop a couple of days ago (second hand) and has been working fine until today. I cannot access windows at all. Does anyone out there know about this model. Have checked the guide book for troubleshooting but lists nothing like the problem that I am having....

Keyboard question compaq evo n400c notebook [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know how to take a screen shot on a Compaq Evo N400C series notebook? The top row has a key labeled "prt sc" with a white underlay. I tried pressing this key with the "Fn" key at the same time but nothing happens. Is there another key I'm supposed to use? Thanking you in advance for...

View more questions Search