Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilimarie143 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Working out with a pulled muscle
    I pulled my quad muscle recently in a soccer game, but I still want to work out as part of a my weight loss plan... any suggestions on workouts that wouldn't put a lot of strain on my leg?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 12:02 PM
    As for the injury itself, immediately after you need to follow the R.I.C.E. principle... Rest it, Ice it, use Compression, and Elevate. Start immediately with light stretching, and keep this up over the following days of rehab.

To help rehab that muscle you can begin to work it in a controlled manner, by simply squeezing it. Put your legs out in front on you, sitting on the floor, and simply contract the muscle over and over... 20-30 times to start. Do a few sets of these each day if you can. Then you can increase the reps or strengh of contraction. You can vary this by pushing the straight leg down into the ground, with multiple reps again.

You can also do other quad exercises such as sitting leg extensions where you sit in a chair with feet flat on the ground and simply use the quad to lift your leg up by straightening it. You might want someone to support your leg at first until you are comfortable you can do this without spasms, and you also can stop short of full elevation.

And again, stretch that muscle out well several times a day.

As for your question, how to keep up your workout without stressing this muscle, swimming can get you good cardio to keep up your metabolism and you can minimize the movement of the leg, especially if you focus on upper body movement and reduce all lower body kicks... just have to watch if you are prone to cramping right now and preferably work in a guarded pool. Also, watch doing too much extra work on the "good" side (isolated kicks for ex) in that sometimes you can stress your other side since it is taking up some slack from the weak side. I know that tends to happen with me if I get a pull/tear... a few days later the other side aches because your gait is different and then you are stressing the other side.

You can probably do some stationary bike with light resistance if you can do some of the other quad isometric exercises I mentioned before. If needed, use your hands to help pump, and again, don't overdo it. You need to work that muscle in a controlled manner.

Use leg wraps/compression bandages to help reduce swelling immediately after injury, but also help prevent muscle "rebound" injury... that phenomenon that occurs when you take a step where the muscle shifts down, but then "bounces" back up again. Almost every time I've had a second injury to a muscle that's been pulled, its due to this rebounding, and wrapping the muscle comfortably has always seemed to help me get through the injury and prevent another, as I tend to wear it during sports for a month or so after I think I'm better.

Despite the fact I workout a lot, I am prone to getting a quad/hamstring/calf tear about once every 1-1.5 years, this despite the fact I hydrate well and I stretch daily. I'm just prone to it, so I keep a compression roll in my workout bag all the time, as it can immediately help.

And be patient... I've had severe tears take over a month to really be decent, and even then I wasn't 100%.

So don't be afraid to work that leg in a controlled manner. It's a common part of physical therapy for that pull.

And don't think you can't get a workout with upper body movements. Punches, jabs, uppercuts, speedbag drill can all get you breathing if you do several sets in quick count.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulled quad muscle therapy [ 3 Answers ]

I pulled my right quad muscle playing baseball and I took some ib profin to help with pain and swelling. And I iced my quad muscle as well but can I put heat on it as well like 20 minutes after I'm done icing it? Or will putting heat on it make?

Pulled Muscle? [ 10 Answers ]

Poor, poor Ginger! :( About two weeks ago she had a seizure which lasted about seven minutes, it hit her when she was laying at the top of the steps and down she went. About ten minutes later she went into another one that lasted about four minutes. She acted a little stiff, and her gait was...

Pulled Muscle Need a way to strengthen and relax the muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... my problem is in my right leg the quad muscle I can barely walk on my leg and its next to impossible to run, I was playing softball in the cold weather of Ohio, and I went to hit the ball and as I started to run my leg (quad) started hurting and I wasn't able to stand on it... I am looking...

Treatment for pulled Quad muscle [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled my quad playing softball 2 weeks ago, I am playing my next game on Sunday, it is still a bit sore, and I know running might cause the strain again, but is there anything I can do to prepare my leg for when I run? Someone told me to tape it up? I tried stretching it and it hurt, should I...

View more questions Search