Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calimija_619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Is this legal?
    I've recently come in contact with a person who lives in another country. They claim that I can claim, having never met this person, next of kin, to a deceased person and get a bunch of money transferred into my bank account. And that this needs to be completed by a certain time, or the government will just take the money since there is no next of kin. Is this process legal? And what are the laws against this if not?:confused:
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Feb 10, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Did you get this offer via email? If so, this may be a form of the infamous "Nigerian Letter/Scam". Like the name implies, this is a scam and under no circumstances should you give this person your bank account number. I know many people who get this kind of offer in their email almost every day and they are all scams. As soon as you give the "poor family" that you are "helping" your account #, they will wipe out your account. Please don't believe this person; they are lying to try and scam you.

Hope this helps!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
    This is a scam, a trick, they are crooks,

They want to find someone who is dishonest in the US and take their money. And because you are trying to get someone else's money, you can't report it to the police when your money is stolen. Great scam

After you agree to it, they either have you send them some legal fee. Or you give them your bank account number and instead of gettng money all the money you have in the account is gone. And it goes over sea and you can't get it back, nothing you can do.

It works with this, often they want you to do some good deed with the money, or they want you to change this money over to US money for a fee.

The newest they actually send you a bank check, you deposit it, and send them back so much money in cashiers check. But about two weeks latter you find that the check you got was a fake, and you are out your check.

This all works off our people greed
    calimija_619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 07:29 PM
    from rossy kofi
    lome togo west africa
    note:please kindly reply me with this my direct email
    ([email protected])

dear friend,

i got your contact through togolise chamber of
    commerce.

i am rossy kofi,the only daughter of late mr and mrs
    mike kofi, please and please do not be embarased,i am
    seeking your attention to help me transfer the sum of
    ($7.5,000,000,00 us dollars)seven million five hundred
    thousand united state american dollars. In your
    account please it is more than urgent.

moreover, dear, i am willing to offer you 15% of the
    total sum as compensation for your effort/input after
    the successful transfer of this fund into your
    nominated account overseas.
    thanks,

rossy kofi.

susan- so this is all illegal activety?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 07:38 PM
    This is a variation of the famous Nigerian scam. The minute they get your account number it gets cleaned out. Please don't fall for it.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Yes, I get at least 4 or 5 of different variations of that letter and others every day. They are frauds trying to steal your money. They work off the desire of people to get something for nothing.

First why do they need you, and why would they call you not merely a bank direct.

Next many US banks are international, so there would be US banks they can access almost anywhere.
    Next why do they need to transfer it, if it is in a bank, they could merely wire the money to any other bank in the US without your help to start with.
    They could email a bank and set up an account online in some cases
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, I get at least 4 or 5 of different variations of that letter and others every day. They are frauds trying to steal your money. they work off of the desire of people to get something for nothing.

Wow, you sure get a lot of spam.

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

This is a SCAM.
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Yes Capt

Of course I own two main web sites, and I am in my real identity when I am not this online superhero answering questions, the current Presiding Bishop of our Church. So my church web site is published internationally.
    We have priests and Bishops all around the world. We have a major web site in Africa ( where a lot of these scams come from) and I have a major US site.

We also have a Yahoo group and our members belong to a dozen more Yahoo groups.

So we also get a lot of those Church scams also. They want to donate so much money to the church and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal sex age [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 17 and will turn 18 on October 11th but my dad is thinking about putting my boyfriend in jail for being with a minor. My boyfriend is 24. I live in California and I know the age of consent is 18 but do you think the police will really enforce this law when I turn 18 in a month? If you can...

Is this legal? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for me to hack another one of my own computers?

Legal age? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought the legal age to work behind a bar was 18 but at my current employment there is a girl of 17 working behind the bar. I spocked to the owner about this and he said no it is 16 now in there U.K, but I just wanted to make sure. Can any one tell me what the legal age is for definite? Thank...

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

Is It Legal [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter is buying a mobile home and land package deal. She started buying it in 2002. In 2004 she lost her job and got behind on her payments. So the mortgage co put it in foreclosure. She paid a little over 5 thousand to stop the foreclosure. Then in 2005 she had to take a different...

View more questions Search