Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syerger Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
    How do I unlock my laptop keyboard - it types the wrong thing!
    Hi,

My Sony Viao laptop has some weird setting where you can change the keyboard letters to type numbers or symbols. I have no idea how I made this turn on and cannot figure out how to turn it off. Currently, if I type the letter "U" for example, the screen displays a 4.

HELP!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 10:59 AM
    You have NumLock on. Look to see if you have any key with "Fn" on it - the print would be a different color than the regular keys - also look for a key with "NumLck" on it. To deactivate press and hold the Fn key and press the Numlck key.
    syerger Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2006, 11:06 AM
    It was actually alt and numlock, based on the way my keyboard is laid out. THANK YOU - I just needed a bump in the right direction.

Thanks again!
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 11:33 AM
    When you type the letter U, a 4 is displayed... and yet, there are 9 letter U's in your post?? LOL
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    When you type the letter U, a 4 is displayed... and yet, there are 9 letter U's in your post??? LOL
    Hahahahhaa... It's true! You made me spit my Coke damn you! :p
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Feb 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Nah he probably just used another computer (like how I did a few months ago when I had the same problem).. Sony should really do something about this... like perhaps place a massive sticker (obviously removable) on top of the numpad buttons when the laptop comes in new telling about this (because I have heard of some people actually reinstalling windows thinking that it will solve the problem - it doesn't.. what does is a simple button lol).
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2006, 01:30 PM
    This isn't just a Sony problem, but it affects ALL laptops equally.
    The number of times I've had calls about this is amazing, but once the problems is described it's easy to fix.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 23, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    This isn't just a Sony problem, but it affects ALL laptops equally.
    What are y64 ta325ng ab64t?? 0y Gateway 3a*t6* d6esn't have that *r6b3e0 at a33!!

6h, darn, 5 g4ess 5t d6es... :(

:D:D:D
    norlisame Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Very helpful. I sped hours trying to fix it until I found this info. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Radio Unlock Codes [ 24 Answers ]

I tried to install a new radio into my girlfriend's car last night but had to give up and put the old radio back. As the power was disconnected the radio is now locked and awaiting the unlock code. Trouble is - this is a 2nd hand car and I couldn't see the unlock code anywhere :( Does anyone...

Keyboard Some keys typing wrong symbols [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, The @ is where the " is and vise versa. The # is at the backstroke key and I haven't been able to find where the backstroke key is. The # key is now a £ sign. The ~ key is at the shift key above the backstroke and the ~ is ¬ key. Anyone any idea how I can change back to a normal keyboad...

Unlock/subsidy codes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a motorola v180 cell phone . My provider was cingular.Now it is Tmobil. I ruined my tmobil phone so I tool the sim card out and put it in the old cingular phone but when I power up it asks for the subsidy code. I am told by Motorola that the subsidy code is different than the unlock code...

Laptop Keyboard problem [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard got jammed. I am sure there is a key or set of keys to press to release the jam because I can recall I had a problem with my old laptop some 2 years ago which was sorted thus. The present problem is with the new dell laptop three weeks old. Can somebody help.

Unlock laptop keys [ 4 Answers ]

Some keys on my toshiba laptop are locked, how do I unlock them?

View more questions Search