Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thisisme Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Something Wrong
    So, I took four pills of emergency contraceptive this month. I also started new birth control this month. This started at the beginning of March. It's now the beginning of April and I have had the worst stomach in the world for a week and a half STRAIGHT now, so bad that I have skipped the gym for two weeks. I've sat in the bath for three hours because of the pain. I thought that maybe it was an appendicitis, but my side isn't hurting. Then I figured it must be from the emergency contraceptive. I've heard that it can be dangerous to take. I've also been on my period for the whole time. Very lightly, but it's brown.

What is going on with me?

I've also had a headache the whole time, like a horrible migraine that feels like my brain is too big for my skull and it's trying to opush its way out...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Time for a visit to the doctor. We can't tell you what this is... it would be dangerous of us to even venture a guess.

If you are in that much pain a visit to the emergency room might be in order.

Apr 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Are you going to pay for it. I don't have health insurance.

Apr 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
    I'm not asking for a diagnosis. I'm asking for some insight.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Without a diagnosis there isn't much we can tell you cause it could be a number of things.
    You can go to the ER and they will bill you and you can make small payments each month or find a clinic.
    You need checked because it could be something serious. Could you be pregnant?
    I know I was taking the pill for two or three months and didn't know I was pregnant and had awful pains, symptoms and on and off bleeding.
    With a diagnosis we might be able to give some insight but not knowing what your problems are directly related to it is too hard to tell.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Go to the ER, worry about the bill later. Any pain that bad should be checked, right away.
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisisme
    Are you going to pay for it. I don't have health insurance.
    Of course I'm not going to pay for it, I didn't get you in this predicament, you did.

Apr 6, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Of course I'm not going to pay for it, I didn't get you in this predicament, you did.
    How do you know that I was the one that got me into this "predicament" if you don't know what it is. If you don't know what it is, then you don't know the cause.

And no I can't be pregnant, did you read the question?

Apr 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Go to the ER, worry about the bill later. Any pain that bad should be checked, right away.
    Yeah, I can't do that. I have to worry about the bill before it becomes a bill. I don't have money.
    foreverblue8691 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 05:45 AM
    My mom is a doctor and her practice sometimes loses money because they treat people who can't pay. I know this isn't common practice because it loses money for the already over worked and under paid (don't laugh, yes my mom is underpayed, mom had so many job offers but chose to become a rural doctor instead). Anyway a hospital isn't going to refuse you and you can work out a payment schedule, or even get a loan from the bank. People don't want you to be hurt, just give it a try.

Apr 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverblue8691
    my mom is a doctor and her practice sometimes loses money because they treat people who can't pay. I know this isnt common practice because it loses money for the already over worked and under payed (don't laugh, yes my mom is underpayed, mom had so many job offers but chose to become a rural doctor instead). Anyways a hospital isn't going to refuse you and you can work out a payment schedule, or even get a loan from the bank. People don't want you to be hurt, just give it a try.
    I don't have money, does no one understand that? I don't have money to pay for a payment schedule or to pay back a loan. I don't have money.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Sweetie, without J_9 actually sitting down with you in an examination room and diagnosing your symptoms based upon what she can physically see, she (nor anyone else on this e-help desk) can not provide you with medically accurate answers. Nor does she claim she can. She simply is trying to help you.

In the future, when you ask questions on AMHD please respect the qualifications and experience of the people that answer your questions. J_9 is one of the most respected medical professionals on this site, she doesn't deserve your sarcasm.

There has to be some way that you can get yourself to the doctor. Can you ask your parents or family member to take you? Can they help you with the bills? Maybe someone would be willing to help you with the money problems while you put into action a re-payment plan. There are always ways to get things done. Yes, you'll have a bill but sweetie, this is a health matter that could very well be something serious.

Please, figure out a way to get to the doctor.

(In regards to the poster that asked you if you could be pregnant... she was only responding to your first sentence - that you had taken four emergency contraceptive pills this month. The only reason you'd take those pills is because you had a pregnancy scare.)

Yes, those pills can be dangerous to take... one can be dangerous, I can't imagine what four would do... and combined with the pill... You are correct. Something is definitely wrong. But the only way you're going to figure out what it is and start to feel better is by going to the doctor.

I wish you luck.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Thisisme, I've answered this same question you've posted before, but I'll answer it again.

EC works by upping your hormone levels to the extreme, and the fact that you took four in 30 days, is absurd. Regardless, it happened. The fact that you started your BC regimen WHILE your hormones were in the clouds didn't help either.

At this moment, you are able to call your doctor who gave you the EC and the BC, and tell him/her about the symptoms you are experiencing.

Aat this moment, your hormones are over-the-top off balance, and this can give you all sorts of side effects... heavy bleeding, cramps, and migraines are actually part of those side effects.

In the mean time, a heat pack will help you alleviate some pain... if you don't have a heat pack, fold up a small towel to fit inside a zip-loc bag... then put some water in there (enough to soak up the towel), and then while the zip-loc is open, put it in the microwave for about 15 - 30 seconds. Then use it as a heat pack.

The side effects of EC + BC are far from few... and they're all very very varied. They include:

Bleeding
    Nausea
    Numbness in extremities
    Headaches
    Chest pain
    Abdominal pain
    Shortness of breath
    Dizziness
    Blurred vision

I know on the other thread you said that you'd call the clinic. Give that a try if you haven't already.

HistorianChick is right in that we can't give you a proper diagnosis... at all, without actually examining you. We can only offer suggestions here and there, and even with that, I suggest you take it with a grain of salt.

If money is an issue, as often as it is with healthcare, I suggest you first call the clinic and see what they're offering, then try to find a free/walk-in clinic in your area. They're not up too the highest quality of standards, however, the doctors are still licensed and can still give you proper healthcare.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
    I don't have money, does no one understand that? I don't have money to pay for a payment schedule or to pay back a loan. I don't have money.
    Okay, I'm going to be blunt. What do you want us to do about it? We can't diagnose you on the internet, not even a doctor could do that. Either go to the doctor or hope for the best, those are your only options at this point. We'd love to be able to help you, I'd love nothing better than to look in my crystal ball and tell you exactly what's wrong, but no one here has the power to do that based on a description of events and pains.

There has to be some way for you to be able to go to the doctor, have you looked into every possibility? Please, get professional medical help, don't risk your life.

Also, please show some respect on this site, we did not create this, and we did not offer up unsolicited advice, you asked our opinion and we gave it, that's all.

Good luck, I wish you all the best.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
    How do you know that I was the one that got me into this "predicament" if you don't know what it is. If you don't know what it is, then you don't knwo the cause.

Can't imagine who would have gotten you into the predictament if YOU didn't
    And it IS possible to get pregnant with some birth control. Plus sometimes when you take too much of something it has an opposite effect.

I think Isneeze has it right that your hormones are out of balance BUT you could have more problems than that and so
    Insight or advice may help with one problem and make another worse.
    I don't see why you can't do as Isneeze said and call the doctor that gave you the emergency contraceptive.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 7, 2008, 04:07 PM
    I would like to add something here that seems obvious to me. Why are you taking emergency birth control so often? If you can't afford to go to the Dr. to get checked out?. how in the world would you be able to afford to pay for an unwanted pregnancy, and the costs and expense that would follow?!

You need to be on regular birth control pills if you are finding yourself in the predicament of having to take emergency pills. Either that or obstain, because one of these days you are either going to find yourself really sick, or the emerg pill won't work, and then you will have more bills than you can imagine.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 04:08 PM
    How do you know that I was the one that got me into this "predicament" if you don't know what it is. If you don't know what it is, then you don't knwo the cause.

Honey, I am a labor and delivery nurse. There is one reason and one reason only to take the morning after pill.

What I suggest you do, since you don't have the money, and you didn't tell us that until we had given you suggestions, is go to your local health department. They provide services for free or low cost depending on your income.

I know about worrying about paying bills before they become bills, I am/was a struggling nursing student with children and no job. I understand what it is like not to have insurance, you can't have insurance without a job, and it's impossible to have a job in nursing school.

Apr 8, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    I would like to add something here that seems obvious to me. Why are you taking emergency birth control so often? If you can't afford to go to the Dr. to get checked out?...how in the world would you be able to afford to pay for an unwanted pregnancy, and the costs and expense that would follow?!!

You need to be on regular birth control pills if you are finding yourself in the predicament of having to take emergency pills. Either that or obstain, because one of these days you are either going to find yourself really sick, or the emerg pill won't work, and then you will have more bills than you can imagine.
    I AM on regular birth control. I stated that in my original post.

Apr 8, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Anyway, thank you all for your help and suggestions. The pain has subsided, and planned parenthood told me that it was normal. Thanks everyone. Apparently grouchiness was a symptom as well.
    Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
    I AM on regular birth control. I stated that in my original post.
    Actually you stated you started birth control this month AND you took the emergency pill 4 times this month.

It's no wonder you are having such terrible symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong to be with him? [ 11 Answers ]

My sister broke up with this guy 3 years ago after leaving him for someone else. We are quite good friends and he's friends with the rest of my family and visits. Over a year ago my other sister told me he fancied me and he confirmed this. I do care for him and my family has given me their...

What's wrong with me [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for about 3.5 year just a year and a half ago, my other half cheated, I found out, and ever since we been trying to work it out. How can I work it out if he continues to call this person. The excuse he gives is we are just friends. Not according to the things I heard...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Am I in the wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Please help me... There is this lad from work and he has liked me for a while now (at first I didn't like him... I always thought it would just be mates) he text me a lot and I would reply but I never gave the flirty or leading him on impression. Then I noticed a month later the...

View more questions Search