Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kikko Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Student Loan Interest Deduction
    I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Kikko:

If you know the amount of interest you paid and can prove it if audited, claim the interest (assuming your income is low enough to get a benefit from the deduction). Since there is no 1098-E, the IRS may ask for that proof, however, so keep those pay slips you cited.
    kikko Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Should I attach those slips to the return? Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 11:01 PM
    Attaching a photocopy of the slips is a good idea.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 01:43 PM
    Alvin:

You posted an answer to a posting that is FIVE years old.

LOOK at the dates before answering!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student loan deduction [ 6 Answers ]

Hi For the year 2005 I was on F1 status. I wanted to deduct my student loan payments. I paid a total interest of $1425 in year 2005. I tried filling the worksheet provided with form 1040 nr ez instructions. According to their calcluations Ican only deduct $ 133 out of 1425 I paid as interest. ...

Student loan interest deductibility [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005, I was on F1 until Sept 30, and then my status was changed to H1B starting from Oct 1. CINTAX has determined that I had to use 1040NR-EZ to file my tax return. It said I was not eligible to claim student loan interest for my tax return since I was not in F1 visa status as of 31 Dec 2005....

Home interest deduction in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about the home loan deduction. I was in F-1 and OPT in 2005 the entire year. And I am supposed to file 1040NR. I bought a house in Oct. 2005, and received form 1098 for loan interest and points paid. Are they tax deductable? In the schedule A of 1040NR where I do my itemized...

Splitting deduction interest & prop tax [ 3 Answers ]

My ex & I sold our home during our divorce in 2005. On my Schedule A, do I have a right to claim one half of the mortgage interest and property taxes paid during the time we owned it? What if I claim half and he claims the entire amount? We lost money on the sale. Is there a deduction for that?

5 yrs.later car loan / interest due ? [ 1 Answers ]

I took out in 1996 new car loan over 5 yrs. w/Americredit. In 2001 received registration slip. Recalling now, I did not get a paper that said " Paid In Full. " The regiistration slip I believed at that time was my paid in full. 1 week ago I got a call from a collection agnecy that said Americredit...

View more questions Search