Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GEORGE HUBBARD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 10:19 AM
    200 Amp Outside Service Disconnect
    I NEED TO KNOW IF A "200 AMP OUTSIDE SERVICE DISCONNECT" IS THE SAME THING AS A "200 AMP OUTSIDE MAIN BREAKER OR LOAD CENTER"? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! HOME DEPOT WAS USELESS.:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 10:34 AM
    For a better answer, you might explain what you need. A disconnect is just a switch. Push the handle and both poles are disconnected. Often they have fuses too. A main breaker can be shut off, but will also shut itself off if the current exceeds it rating. A load center has a main breaker plus ones for various loads.

I thought I got better answers at HD than Lowe's. If I really need help, I go the Ace Hardware. Many True Value hardwares have good people too.

I am afraid you may be pushing the DIY limit if you are not buying it for somebody else to instal.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
    First, I am glad to hear that HD was useless, unless the clerk has a valid electrician's license in his/her pocket, no hardware clerk should be advising any customer with what or how any electrical should be done. Any incorrect advice can cause a homeowner to install electrical work incorrectly and may cause loss to life or property. I always wonder if a loss occurs, can that clerk or store management be held liable.

An outside service disconnect may be the same as an outside main breaker. Just different words for the same device. I said "may" because the device installed to be intended as a "Service Disconnect" must be labeled from the manufacturer as "Service Equipment" and since it will be located outdoors, must be in an enclosure rated for wet locations identified by a NEMA 3R rating.

A load center is the actual panel that will contain all the branch circuit breakers, will be fed by the Main Disconnect, must be rated as "Service Equipment", and NEMA 3R rated if located outdoors, or otherwise be rated NEMA 1 if located indoors.

The location of the Main is critical due to the length of feeder cable from the meter to the panel. If short distance, not more than 10 feet of feeder cable, the Main can be located at the panel, if longer than 10 feet, the Main must be located at the meter.

And where the Main is located is the point the grounding electrode conductor (wire that goes to ground rods, water ground, etc.) must be connected to the neutral conductor. From this point on, there is to be no connected between any ground and the neutral.

I hope this has answered your question, any more get back here with them.

Feb 10, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Thanks Tk,I'm Still Confused But This Helps A lot.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
    Well what are you confused about? Keep asking questions, esp if you are looking to do your own work. Seek all the info you can.

Something I stated confusing you? Let me know. I can explain. Initially I will use all proper terminology since that is how I think, and an effort to educate that electrical work is not as easy as it appears.

Do not hesitate to ask.

Feb 10, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Thanks Tk. I E-mailed You Further Details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mapped drive disconnect after period of inactivity [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have this annoying problem. Mapped drive disconnect after period of inactivity; such as an hour or over night. Windows XP: 4 Server: 1 Share folders are on the server and a single windows XP. This is what I have done so far. In command prompt: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

Want to auto disconnect AOL [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I'm running XP and AOL9 w/ dial-up. Is there some way I can configure AOL to automatically disconnect? I've accidentally left my computer connected for hours and upon my return AOL is still running. I thought to use parental controls but this only works for 1 screen name at a time. I...

Best dsl service [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have Direct TV DSL. They are ceasing operations soon and I need to decide on another service. I would like to go with another DSL service, if possilbel, but I would consider going with a cable-broadband system. I am in the Atlanta area. My questions are how good is Bellsouth DSL. ...

Hot Tub Disconnect [ 4 Answers ]

From reading past questions and responses, I got a fairly clear idea about how to wire the GFI panel between the distribution panel and hot tub. Thanks for the references that people posted! There is still one requirement, however, that still puzzles me. The NEC calls for a disconnect to be...

How to disconnect copper elbo from wall feed PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new water softener. If I could rotate the existing copper elbow feed, for old softener, it would make the new installation much neater. How can I rotate an elbow connected into PVC that has a clamp?

View more questions Search