Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Armas__ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Identify painting!
    I need help identifying the artist and the origin of this painting. I have no ifnormation about it, but it seems to be very old. There are no signs and signatures on the painting as well as on the back side of it.
    Any information provided about the country of origin, the artist, the school and time when this painting may have been created, wuold be deeply apreciated.

Here are the links of some photos of the painting, if necessarry I can send more.

Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 12:04 PM
    It would be nearly impossible to do what you ask just by looking at a pic of a painting. It looks like it has been around a long time and abused. I suggest you take it to an art dealer or a good antique store that deals mostly in artwork, period oil paintings, etc. I know you thought you could get a free appraisal on this but I don't know how you could think we could identify without knowing the painter or seeing it first hand. Sorry, but you will have to invest some money in having it identified.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:11 AM
    Okay... This site is about helping others to solve the answers to questions that they might have. As such, I think that it would be best to proceed in that fashion. If someone might need to take the work of art that they have somewhere else in order to receive an answer after all efforts here have been exhausted here, then so be it.

But, we haven't yet exhausted all of the efforts in making use of the resources of this site yet.

What I am seeing here in the first painting, that I have gotten from the links that you have provided, is probably an oil on canvas painting maybe dating from the High Renaissance period. It is very darkened with age and the signature or other identifying mark of the artist may be really hard to see.

The clothing styles; hair, hand and arm dimensions as well as the subject matter in this painting are similar to the other one from the High Renaissance that I have included in this post to the right of yours. Furthermore, rather than the subjects appearing to be flat, as they might be in pre-Renaissance portraiture paintings, they appear to be three-dimensional.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:27 AM
    In the following two, enhanced images of the paintings, I have put a rectangle around the portions of the paintings where there appears to be a signature or identifying mark of some kind. I would suggest that you use a magnifying glass and see if that might be so.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Because of the rectangular shape of the nail heads that I am seeing, that would be indicative of cut nails rather than modern round ones. You will find these kinds of nails used in frame work and general construction in the 19th century and in the centuries preceding that. Certainly a very old frame.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:50 AM
    How and where did you acquire this painting, please? Knowing those two things would help us to help you better here. We are also unable to view the lower right hand side of the painting. It would be helpful if you would provide some images of it also. It's possible that there might be a signature or identifying mark in that area also that we can't see right now because of the darkening with age.

Thank you!

Apr 9, 2008, 04:32 AM
    At first I want to thank you for reply and efforts to help.
    This painting I found in my grandparents old house and nobody of my relatives knows how this picture was obtained. I tried to find any signs in your noted places, but I found nothing there. I have put new hi-resolution images online, maybe you'll find anything interesting.
    Actually I was not thinking that it's so old and doesn't pay much attention to it, but it really seems to be an old one.
    Is there any online picture galleries of High Renaissance period, maybe I can find other similar paintings there?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Where have you put new images online, please?

Apr 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Sorry, forgot to add links.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify Avante Studios and/or Artist Signature - Oil Painting [ 8 Answers ]

This oil painting endorsed on the back as Avante Studios, Inc. is a mystery to me. From what I know, my parents acquired it in the 60s, and as you see, the subject matter definitely embodies the owl craze of the era. Can anyone help identify the studio, artist, or value? Any information is...

Identify [ 1 Answers ]

Can u tell me who the persons in the pics are?the man in the long red hat started something that has been increasing in popularity ever since its initiation! http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nk1t/album?.dir=/bb18scd

Can you identify [ 1 Answers ]

There was a picture in my home growing up and I'm trying to find a print. I do not know the title or Artist name. It is an old piece my Mother had, so I would date it prior to 1940's. IT is a painting of an old Brass bed with a girl Asleep who has dark hair. There is a large dog at the side, or...

Trying to identify this painting! [ 4 Answers ]

Alrite, I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for a particular painting. Now, I can not tell you the name of the painting, nor the title, because I know neither, but I will try my best to descibe it. Basically, there are just a bunch of stairs. Some are closer, some farther away. This...

View more questions Search