Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1dikong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Federal tax for elderly immigrant (permanent resident)
    I was granted a permanent resident (green card) status in April 2007. I am 74 years old, no income and dependent on my son who is a US citizen.

Do I need to file federal tax and state (California) tax? If yes, what forms?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 12:00 PM
    No tax return is required by you.

However, your SON can and should claim you as a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elderly Dependent on Federal Return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my father who lived with me for nine months of 2007 on my tax returns? He receives SS.

Do I have to pay any federal tax at all as a non-resident? [ 7 Answers ]

Since I am an Indian citizen and a resident of India for tax purposes (hence non-resident of the US for tax purposes) the double taxation agreement applies to me. In India, I will be taxed for my global income. If I was taxed on my income by the US, then India will provide me a 'relief'. The...

F-1 to permanent resident tax issues [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to thank all of you in advance for your help. Here is my story: Entered US in March '98 with F-1 visa, married US Citizen in August '02 but never filed for residency with INS. We have filed taxes as married filing jointly ('02, '03, '04, '05) with my TIN - Never...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

L1/J1- Permanent Resident Tax status [ 1 Answers ]

At the start of 2005 I was single and employed on an L1, my Fiancée then received a J1 and started work in mid-Jan as a Post-Dpoctral research scientist. We got married on June 25th and my Permenent Resisdent Visa was issued in late August through the US embassy in London. My wife received her...

View more questions Search