Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2008, 05:52 AM
    How is sunrise determined?
    How is sunrise determined for a particular place? I mean if they say sunrise is at 6:30 AM at NYC where is it first seen? Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 06:20 AM
    In NYC, it is first seen from the highest elevations(Mountains)or a tall building. The ground people will have to wait. Are you talking sunrise for avaition?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Sunrise is the time at which the first part of the Sun appears above the horizon
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 6, 2008, 08:54 AM
    See Capuchin's reply.
    But the higher and the more eastern you are located, the earlier you can see it. Logical of course, standing on a rotating sphere, waiting to see what appears from below the horizon...
    And sunrise is always seen in an eastern direction, with the north-south direction changing accordingly to the seasons.

As to what causes the seasons : HAVE A LOOK HERE !

:)

Apr 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
    In NYC, it is first seen from the highest elevations(Mountains)or a tall building. The ground people will have to wait. Are you talking sunrise for avaition?

NO, just where do you have to be to see the sunrise in NYC, sans the mountains and high buildings Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
    You could be probably be anywhere in New York, I would get up 10 minutes early and not miss it.
    -

Apr 6, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky1549
    NO, just where do you have to be to see the sunrise in NYC, sans the mountains and high buildings Thanks
    As eastern as possible.
    :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky1549

They probably measure it at the same point that the people who make the road signs pointing to NYC measure it to :rolleyes:
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    They probably measure it at the same point that the people who make the road signs pointing to NYC measure it to
    That may be true. But the only correct answer to Ricky's questions
    - "just where do you have to be to see the sunrise in NYC, sans the mountains and high buildings"
    and
    - "I mean if they say sunrise is at 6:30 AM at NYC where is it first seen?"
    Is :
    As eastern as possible.That is where at street level you see the sunrise FIRST!

:rolleyes:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
    When "they" say that sunrise in NYC is at 6:30 AM they are referring to a standard set of tables that list sunrise times based on the data and your longitude and latitude - for NYC it's probably based on a location like Central Park. It's basically an idealized calculation that assumes a clear horizon for an observer at sea level. Obviously if you are in a tall building you see the sun before those at street level. And if you are in a tall building at the eastern edge of the city limits you'll see it before anyone else in the city. Assuming that NYC is approximately 10 miles wide east-to-west, all else being equal an observer at the eastern border should see sunrise approximately 30 seconds before an observer at the western edge (if they are both at the same height above sea level). And for every 100 feet in altitude your sunrise is about 13 seconds earlier.
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    ... All else being equal an observer at the eastern border should see sunrise approximately 30 seconds before an observer at the western edge ...
    Indeed : this agrees with BOTH of Ricky's questions!
    - "just where do you have to be to see the sunrise in NYC, SANS the mountains and high buildings"
    and
    - "I mean if they say sunrise ... where is it FIRST seen?"

:rolleyes:

Nov 16, 2009, 07:53 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks

Nov 16, 2009, 07:56 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks ebaines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How are the ratings determined. [ 1 Answers ]

I have always wondered how does the television networks know how many are watching their program? For instance; American Idol. They announce so many millions are watching tonight. How do they know that? Do they know when I change the channel? How does a radio program like Coast to Coast know...

How # of viewers determined? [ 1 Answers ]

How is show popularity and number of viewers determined? I never hear of anybody being phone-surveyed.:confused: Thanks, Scottgem--yes the Neilson ratings. But how are they compiled? Who gets surveyed?

How is child support $ determined? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Texas and are curious how is the amount of child support determined? Per my previous post we are assuming that an all out war is about to commence with his ex if we pursue collection for her violation of the divorce decree and we are having to pay for her debts. We...

How is age determined? [ 2 Answers ]

In biblical times, how long is a year? And how long is a day? I was wondering how the bible calculated the age of Moses, the ages seem sort of off to me.

Sunrise/Sunset asymmetry at solstice [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to understand why the earliest sunset occurs one or two weeks before the winter solstice, and the latest sunrise occurs one or two weeks later? I imagine that the slight change in orbital position from day to day must have some impact, but I still can't visualize it. Thanks...

View more questions Search