Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markymark222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
    US Resident traveling to Canada
    I am a US resident wanting to travel to Canada by car for a summer vacation this year 2008.
    Will I need a passport to travel into Canada and then coming back from Canada.
    I will be travelling in June in 2008 and crossing in Minnesota.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 10:27 PM
    I live in Canada and as far as I know you do need a passport. Enjoy your vacation.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
    According to this article: Passport Requirements at the Canada Border - Do Americans Need a Passport to Visit Canada?, if you are driving across, no, you do not need a passport, but you DO have to prove citizenship. You may do so with your birth certificate or a passport. With either, you MUST have a photo ID.

Here's a link from the US State Department's website: Canada, you can find more info there. The site for Canada was down when I checked, but there will be further info there.

Enjoy your trip!
    rsc1117 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark222
    I am a US resident wanting to travel to Canada by car for a summer vacation this year 2008.
    Will I need a passport to travel into Canada and then coming back from Canada.
    I will be travelling in June in 2008 and crossing in Minnesota.
    To my knowlegde you only need a passsport if you fly into Canada. Driving, no pp required.
    katie20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 11:27 AM
    As of June 09 Both Canadians and Americans will need passports to drive to and from each country. Right now it is only air travel that requires a passport.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traveling to Canada with a criminal record [ 3 Answers ]

I have looked at the other questions and answers and can't find anything that quite matches my scenario. My boyfriend and I are traveling to Canada in May. Late Friday evening, we came upon the inadmissibility issue for people that have been convicted. My boyfriend has a conviction on his record...

Can I remarry and sponsor, 6 months after I get divorced. I'm a Resident of Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I am in the process of getting a divorce from my wife. I am a Canadian Permanent Resident Holder (will get my passport in 1 yrs time) but I was told that I have to wait for 3 more years from the day my wife got her residency in order to get remarried. My wife got her PR about a yr...

L1 VISA Resident of Canada - SS & Medicare Withholdings? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a citizen and current (since Jan 2007) resident of Canada. I have been transferred here by my Danish based company and current employment via L1 visa is out of our subsidiary in Atlanta GA. Must I have US social security and medicare deducted from my Paychecks which are...

Traveling to canada [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée is a convicted felon and we want to go to canada for a weekend with our kids but we are unsure whether he can go or not due to being a felon, does anyone know how I can find out if he is able too? He isn't on probation he has been trouble free since 2000

View more questions Search