Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Apr 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    jrebel7 has posted images that I didn't find. Great job, jrebel7! In my opinion, I think that we should concentrate on what those Greek words mean and also what this thing is really called. Is it a clasp or medallion of some kind? I have no doubt, that somewhere on the Internet, there will be found to be a similar type of object or maybe another example of the object itself. But, we just need to find the right words to search for it.
    Sorry, Clough.
    Did I mention that I was a bit clueless in the use of some of the stuff available. LOL. When I started to upload the first picture. I thought it would take all the photos. But somehow I ended up opening another album. My bad -- Ace :)

Apr 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Ancient Ships: The Ships of Antiquity - Roman Galleons

I found a link to some interestingly similar Roman coins at the above link. I know it does not solve your mystery, but hopefully it is a clue? Perhaps just a Roman influence on the Greek item in your pictures??

This link talks about similar items... and about the ship on your item...PearlShops4U Ebay Treasures & Research: 1947 Greek Medallions It still seems to be unclear what the actual purpose of the item is.
    Hi Oneguy,
    This site has a lot of info on it. It mentions the same type of item with a spring and such. I didn't locate a picture of the item on the site. Did you happen to locate a picture on the site.? If so, could you send me a link.? Thanks, Ace:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Locket may be another name for what you have...
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Alexander in the Oasis of Siwa

I think the person depicted on the item is Alexander the Great.

He appears to be wearing what are called the horns of Ammon. You can read the above link to find out the importance of that as far as why he would be depicted with them.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Hellenistic civilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I keep being drawn to the Hellenistic era but can't find the information I have been seeking. Maybe you will see something from this link that will help with the letters on the image. Hope so.

Apr 9, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Hi, I will continue to research what I can. Our ISP (Wildblue) is "punishing" us for over usage of our bandwidth. (My son loves youtube) I am crawling along at about 28 kbps. I will be checking into Hughesnet shortly. Thanks for all the help.

Aside to Clough or Jrebel, I have also a blanket box on my space that I've been researching its origin. Is this the correct site also to ask for help? I was going to post some pics but Wildblue has us restricted for a month. OMG what will I do? :) ACE
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Yes, this would be a site where you could ask about the blanket box. But, you would need to do so on another thread. Would your question be about it as a collectible or as furniture, or maybe something else?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace High
    Hi, I will continue to research what I can. Our ISP (Wildblue) is "punishing" us for over usage of our bandwith. (My son loves youtube) I am crawling along at about 28 kbps. I will be checking into Hughesnet shortly. Thanks for all the help.

Aside to Clough or Jrebel, I have also a blanket box on my space that I've been researching its origin. Is this the correct site also to ask for help?? I was going to post some pics but Wildblue has us restricted for a month. OMG what will I do?? :) ACE
    Ace, please do post the Blanket Box. I viewed it on "Ace's Space". The detail in it is just amazing. I would love to hear how you obtained it, and what you know about the history of it. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Apr 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Ace, please do post the Blanket Box. I viewed it on "Ace's Space". The detail in it is just amazing. I would love to hear how you obtained it, and what you know about the history of it. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
    Thanks Jrebel7, I would appreciate the help. I now takes me "hours" just to load up this site. I can't even get to my "Ace's Space" at the moment. I may have to go back to my dailup MSN account. That would be a nightmare. -- Aaarrgghh. LOL Ace.

P.S. I don't suppose --- if I start a thread you could upload the pictures?? Ace :rolleyes:

Apr 10, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Locket may be another name for what you have...
    I hadn't thought of it as a locket!! But it would be awfully heavy to wear. I've seen some items on Ebay that are called clips (why, I'm not sure) but till I see it called something else then I don't know what to call it. But it is designed to open like a clipboard that holds maybe a legal pad or something. Ace

P.S. Again thanks for all the help.

Apr 10, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Yes, this would be a site where you could ask about the blanket box. But, you would need to do so on another thread. Would your question be about it as a collectible or as furniture, or maybe something else?
    As a collectible. It has an imprint on the back says "Made in France". No other marks on it. No date either. The fact that it has an imprint in English and not written in French says to me that it was made for export. But the pictures are awesome. Every time I look at it, I see more details in it. There is a big overall picture and lots of small detail stuff around the big picture. On one side it has a horse and buggy and a castle in the background. It really is amazing. I use it to hold my living room throws and such. It has also been described as a firebox. I would never put anything related to a fireplace in it. So on with my research. I'm heading to the library to see if I can find any info on Alexander the great, the horn of Ammon, and blanket boxes. This is a great site. Thank you all for making it so interesting. Ace
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace High
    Thanks Jrebel7, I would appreciate the help. I now takes me "hours" just to load up this site. I can't even get to my "Ace's Space" at the moment. I may have to go back to my dailup MSN account. That would be a nightmare. -- Aaarrgghh. LOL Ace.

P.S. I don't suppose --- if I start a thread you could upload the pictures??? Ace :rolleyes:
    I would be happy to... just let me know when you start the thread in case I miss seeing it. :)

Apr 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
    I would be happy to....just let me know when you start the thread in case I miss seeing it. :)
    Thanks. Are you there now? ACE
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Hi Ace,

I just came in to check mail and saw your note. I will be in and out this afternoon. I will check ever little bit to see if I have heard from you. I am available though to discuss or post images. Are you posting a new thread for the Blanket Box as Clough suggested or are you wanting the images here on this thread?

Apr 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Hi Ace,

I just came in to check mail and saw your note. I will be in and out this afternoon. I will check ever little bit to see if I have heard from you. I am available though to discuss or post images. Are you posting a new thread for the Blanket Box as Clough suggested or are you wanting the images here on this thread?
    New thread has just been started as Clough suggested. Thanks for your help. Ace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is...

Looking for Islamic clip. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a film clip of a Muslim man beating his wife (hopefully not real footage.) I'm not sadist, I'm looking for this movie for a school project. I want to counter the clip with quotes taken from the Qu'ran.

Removing a wall (with pictures [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wall which separates the vanity area from the shower/toilet area. I want to remove this wall, but was surprised when I removed the drywall. As seen in the photo below there is a 2X12 header across the door and a double 2X4 plate across the top. There is no support beam or post in the...

Snl clip [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find the clip from Saturday Night Live with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken doing a skit someone shouts "we need more cow bell". I don't remember the name of the song they were performing. Any help?

View more questions Search