Apr 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Transposing formulas
    how would I transpose r= PL/a

To make L the subject of the formula

Chur
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I'm going to try and explain this in the way that I was explained it when I finally made sense of how to do this. Hopefully you will never need help transposing ever again!

The main rule of transposition:
    If we take any equation and perform equal operations to both sides, then the equation remains the same

So, for example, we take the simple equation:

Now, this is obviously right. Now we apply the main rule of transposition, and add 2 to both sides (can be any number or operation, as long as we apply it to both sides):

You can see that the equation is still true, and that both equations are equivalent.

Now let's do it with variables. Let's say that

Now we can add 2 to both sides, and it's still true, namely

If the first equation is true for a given set of x, y and z, then so is the second equation, because they are equivalent.

Now onto your question.

If we take and now we subtract y from both sides, we find that

or

What we have now done is moved the y from one side to the other, we have made x the subject of the formula.

Now, if i take your formula

By the main rule of transposition, I should be able to divide both sides by P

This gives us:

As you can see, we have moved the P from one side to the other!

See if you can apply this rule to move the a to the other side in order to complete your question, and I'll give you help if you're having trouble with it!
    Ensure Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 05:30 PM
    But shouldn't it be something like L = blah blah. Without the a being under it, becoz I need that to figure out a question. Where I don't know L
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 06:10 PM
    I haven't completely done the question for you, read what I wrote, don't just look for the answer.

Apr 5, 2008, 07:52 PM
    yeah but I can't work out this transposing stuff. So r/p = L/a, but I still don't know what to do next, do u divide them by a?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 08:06 PM
    r(a)=PL--> (r(a))/p=L
    you want to multiply out the denomenator on both sides, so kind of whatever you do on one side you have to do to both sides to keep them equal.
    kind of like when you have x=2+y and you want y... you just subtract 2 from the one side to get x-2=y

hope this helps a little.. it's kind of hard to explain without pen and paper.

Apr 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
    so it ends up being r x a / p = L
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Yes

Apr 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
    OK well I've got to work out this question, a copper conductor has a cross sectional area of 1.5mm squared and a resistance of 0.86 ohm, if the resistivity of copper is 17.24 nano ohm. What is the lengh of the conductor, I know that u go 17.24 x 10 power of -9 to convert that to ohm meters, and 1.5 x 10 power of -6 to get that to ohm meters, but it comes up with some weird answer when I work this all out, I'm guessing u do the same with resistance to convert that to ohm meters. By going 0.86 x 10 power of -6. any clues where I'm going wrong?
    peter karl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 01:32 AM

How to transpose formula L=4a - 8r + 2pie r subject is a?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Anyone caught spelling as 'pie' will be sent to a work camp. :rolleyes:
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Anyone caught spelling as 'pie' will be sent to a work camp. :rolleyes:
    some people don't know how to type the symbol for pie. Namely myself:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 06:24 AM
    I was just teasing because it is spelled 'pi', not 'pie'. It's a Greek letter, not a pastry.

But, if you want to use LaTex type {\pi} surrounded by the tags.

Except put a slash in the last tag like so [/math]
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 06:26 AM
    I tried to fix this last post but it will not let me for some reason.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 07:19 AM

Peter Karl, did you read what Capuchin said in his first post? If not, do so because I'm pretty sure that you'll understand how to solve your problem.

I can write pi!
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 12:04 PM

lol okay I get it... I didn't even realize the spelling. I just type and go, if you know what I mean (and I thought you meant the symbols)

while we're on the topic though... how do you put the pi symbol in instead of writing it?
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
    LaTex.

For instance:

Some Greek letters:

Click on 'quote user' at the bottom of my post to see the code I typed to make it display that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transposing formulas [ 6 Answers ]

1. If watts = joules/seconds find joules 2. if kWh=kwxhours, find kw 3. If R = p*/a find * 4. if e = 1/2 mV2 find v 5. If p= mgh/t , find g

Formulas [ 1 Answers ]

Flow of Inventoriable Costs -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Direct materials inventory 8/1/07 $90,000,000 Direct materials purchased $360,000,000 Direct materials used $375,000,000 Total manufacturing overhead $480,000,000 Variable...

Transposing music [ 3 Answers ]

Would like to learn how to transpose guitar chords from hard to play chords to easy to play ones because of arthritis in my left hand. Thanks

Transposing a Formula [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, After many pages of working, I've managed to work my way to an equation that looks like this: x=10ln(y/(5-15y))-26 I now need to rearrange this equation to y=... No matter how many times I try I just can't seem to get it. I'm farily sure that the above equation is correct but the...

Calc. Empirical formulas and molecular formulas [ 1 Answers ]

:eek! : a sample is made of 18g of C and 81.5g of H... the molecular mass of the compound is 104g/mole calc. the empirical formula... calc. the molecular formula OK.. so I got the moles, I think.:confused: . C= 18g X 1mole = 1.4987g 1 ...

View more questions Search