Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmissadditude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Triglycerides level
    I went and had my cbc/lipid/tsh/t3/t4 labs done 2 hrs after eating my dr std no need to do test fasting and when the results came back my triglycerides were @ 575 could this(not fasting) cause my triglycerides to be so high?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 5, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Yes, it depends on what you ate also.

Have a lipid profile repeated after an overnight fast.

Normal triglycerides should be < 159

Also , what were the results of the tsh - hypothyroidism can contribute to high triglycerides. Diabetes is also associated with high triglycerides.

Apr 5, 2008, 02:47 PM
    My tsh was 3.41, t3 was 292 and t4 was 1.1 my a1c was 5.2 and glucose was 106 and it was within 2 hrs of eating
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 5, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Those all appear to be normal.

What was the rrest of the lipid profile. Ldl, hdl, total cholesterol?

Often times high triglycerides run in the family.

Apr 5, 2008, 04:18 PM
    The cholesterol was 185, hdl was 37 ldl was unable to be calculated due to the high triglycerides and the choc/hdlc ratio was 5.0
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 7, 2008, 12:51 AM
    Yes, not fasting will cause your triglyceride level to be elevated.
    I am a laboratory worker and from experience, I disagree completely with your physician. To get an accurate triglyceride reading, the patient should be fasting for 12 - 14hours recommended. Most patients can handle 8 hours of fasting. Also, what you have eaten during the past few days will also weigh in to your trig results.
    With any bloodwork it never hurts to fast for a period, or just eat a small snack, to avoid erroneous result.s

My suggestion is to tell the doctor that you do not trust the results and you want to retest next week after you fast for a period of 12 hours. He should not refuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How level should it be. [ 6 Answers ]

We have just installed our first above ground pool. It is an 18' round pool with metal poles that hold up the liner (Intex brand). We have checked the water level and found that the difference in water level height is approx. 3-1/2 inches from one side of the pool to the other. Is this a huge...

I want to take the next level but should I? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the bestest friend a guy could ask for... I want her to be my girlfriend... but through friends I've heard that she's to immature for a relationship(meaning she has too much homework and that her parents are so strict!) and by telling my friend she said to him that she's not sure if that if...

Triglycerides & Gomerular Filt. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I just had a lipid profile, which showed that my total cholesterol was 172, my LDL was 86, my HDL was 44, my Glucose was 103, and my Triglycerides were 212. Why would my Triglycerides be so high when my overall cholesterol and LDL was so low? Also, a few other results seemed unusual, but...

View more questions Search