Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgupta_3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 10:44 PM
    401 k plan deduction or credit
    Hi
    I have been contributing to 401 k plan, it is being deducted from my salary every month, so am I eligible to take any deduction or avail any kind of tax credit, based on this retirement plan?

I am married filing a joint return
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 05:40 AM
    There is no need for you to do anything to show your 401K contribution.

Money contributed to your 401K is reflected as a reduced amount on your W-2 wages reflected in Box 1. The actual contribution amount is shown in Box 14 with the code "D".
    mgupta_3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Thank you, that was helpful.

Another question on Lifetime learning credit, I know that one individual can avail a tax credit of $2000 each year for a maximum of $10000 spending. IS there any phaseout for such credits.

I exercised Employee stock option plan, just to confirm that only the gain recognized on the exercise will be taxed under capital gains.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
    There IS a phaseout depending on your total Adjusted Gross Income and your filing status.

As for the employee stock option, the initial gain between the purchase price and the exercise price is taxed as compensation, with Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld. It should be included on your W-2 as such.

If you hold the stock after you exercise the option for one year and one day, then sell it at a profit, the difference between the exercise price and the sales price is then taxed at capital gain rates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Plan To Get Married;Need Help [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm new here and I've been reading posts here. People here seem very helpful. Here Goes: My girlfriend and I love each other very much. People say when you meet the right person you just know. I'm 18 and she will be 18 in May. Granted we are young but we don't have that average high school...

Business plan [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am writing a business plan for class. Can someone help me? I need some ideas.

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search