Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    easton99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Sears 18HP Tractor Pulley/Transaxle Belt Adjustment
    I have a Sears Craftsman GT 18HP 6 Speed Garden Tractor, 44" Deck, Model # 917.255919. Here's my problem... when I push in the Clutch/Brake Pedal, the belt that goes from the engine (around the engine pulley) to the transaxle keeps turning. The large pulley on the transaxle stops, and the belt begins smoking from the friction. I originally thought the transaxle was locked up, so I bought a rebuilt one and replaced it... but the same thing happens. It looks like something needs to be adjusted, but I don't know what. Or is something else broken? I'm not going to take this to Sears, because it will cost more than the tractor is worth to fix. Any ideas?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Could be the pulleys underneath about half way up the frame that perhaps their arm is not moving. Could also be the incorrect belt. Usually, note I said usually you do not need to adjust the linkage. The linkage is usually set at the factory and usually will be fine for the life of the unit. Occasionally there will be the need for some adjustment, but usually as a rule there is no need of adjustment. I think your problem is either the belt being routed wrong, or the center pulley(s) arm is not moving freely.
    gataknow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 08:17 AM
    How to check the rear axle oil. And if I drain it how much does it take?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transaxle oil seals 1999 craftsman tractor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove and replace oil seals on the transaxle, there are one on each side. The seals are around the axles and into the transaxle on each side.

MTD 18HP 42" tractor Mower [ 1 Answers ]

My tractor mower starts after sitting for a day or so but shuts off within about 30 seconds and does not start again. I can crank it up but it seems that the carburetor gets overflowed and fuel leaks out the air filter compartment. It is a B&S twin engine tractor.

Smell of burning rubber after changing drive belt on Sears Garden Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I changed the Motion Drive Belt on my 20hp 1999 Sears Garden Tractor. After changing, tested it, and it has plenty of "pick up" and runs good. However, after a minute or two, smell burning rubber. Is this normal, perhaps a "break in" period, or is it likely I have done something wrong?

Briggs and Stratton 18hp Overhead Valve Adjustment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman 1100 lawn tractor with a 18hp Briggs & Stratton Overhead Valve Engine. I am told that the valve needs adjusting every year or it will break the shaft. I thought the valve was self adjusting?

View more questions Search