Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnrmc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Use current landline but send and receive calls on my computer NOT VOIP
    I want to connect my current phone service via my computer. I have a plan that allows free calls all over Australia so I want to use my current service provider and line but would like to use the PC as the handset I have ear problems which make using a handset or headset painful so using the computer speakers and a microphone would be attractive. Skype and similar do not give me what I want.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Have you considered using a speakerphone?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Have you considered using a speakerphone?
    My thoughts exactly!

Why do you need to run the calls through the PC anyway?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
    This USB PPG + RJ11 phone adaptor might work, but I'd contact the manufacturer for sure.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    This USB PPG + RJ11 phone adaptor might work, but I'd contact the manufacturer for sure.
    This seems like a VoIP offer.

Apr 15, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Thanks for the responses, The speaker phone seems a good option but I had a system some years ago that allowed me to run the 1 line phone through the computer as if it were a multi department business and act as a fax, a database of customers and suppliers and many other benefits (better than Outlook). This is what I was looking for.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I am curious of the system you had, there is so much, and only so much you can do with a CO line.

Apr 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
    It was some time ago and I cannot remember the software name but it was more like a contact manager software - simpler than ACT but the incoming call feature was excellent. Very effective but as I did not need anything like this for over 20 years so, like many other things it has disappeared from my life (moved too many times). Obviously there is no such system available now or I would have had more helpful responses instead of the sarcastic ones above.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:57 AM
    I have worked with Many phones/phone systems, dialers, Call directors, video conferencing(3 ISDN lines), Mitel Smart ones anything I could get my hands on. If it worked then it should work now. I will look around. I even used the Silicon Bilatteral Triggers(looks like a diode), With 1 wired at each jack, whoever picked up phone first, got the phone, any others lifted would hear silence. I would put them on fax or Computer line,
    No DSL then, and if someone was on Computer or Fax, they would not be interrupted,
    However if no one was using either, then the Phone System would allow this unused line to be used for voice.
    I believe some cordless phones have a jack that allows use of a headset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook 2003 will receive but not send [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having trouble with Outlook 2003. It will receive just fine but not send. I've deleted all the items in my oubox, except a read receipt that is hidden somewhere. The error code I get is 0x8004210B. I have all the add-ins disabled, and the outgoing port is 25. I'm running bit defender...

Can landline calls appear on my computer? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Lately I ve been having some trouble with people calling me and hanging up. I don't have caller id on my landline telephone device so I though that it s a good idea to receive regular phone calls through my laptop computer. Is this possible? Thanks

Can SEND but not RECEIVE Yahoo mail [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Yahoo mail account which I can log into with no problem! I can SEND mail out from this account with no problem. The problem is I cannot receive mail TO this account. If anyone sends mail to this account they will get a non-deliverable reply from their ISP. Someone please help, how...

Can send but not receive in Yahoo [ 32 Answers ]

Hi all:) Have not receiving emails in Yahoo since August! Have tried sending from alternate email accounts- which initially say message has been sent, before receiving failure delivery message - but no messages received in Yahoo. Can still send emails. Don't know if it's relevant, but...

View more questions Search