Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 4, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Smokes and alcohol
    In Canada we have a law, to sell alcohol the person must be over the legal drinking age, differs with each province and Territory. However, a 13 year old can sell tobacco! There is no law stating the same there, why? If we care so much, why isn't there a law stating that the person selling the tobacco must be over the legal age?
    anveshadwivedi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by svatnsdal
    In Canada we have a law, to sell alcohol the person must be over the legal drinking age, differs with each province and Territory. However, a 13 year old can sell tobacco! There is no law stating the same there, why? If we care so much, why isn't there a law stating that the person selling the tobacco must be over the legal age?
    Yes u are right . There should be a law that a person less then 18ys old cannot see tabacoo. You know in INDIA there is a law against child labour and the child less then 18 ys old cannot works in a factory, shop etc.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Hello sv:

I agree. Next time I'm in Parliament, I'm going to make a motion.

excon
    -

Apr 5, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Well excon, it would be nice if that was very soon! It would be nice to actually have a government that shows more care and think of things like this themselves! Yet we all know, a lot of our governments pay comes from tobacco, we all know they really don't care!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Yes the US has such laws, they are seldon enforced and normally broken but we have such laws
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
    How are underage people getting their hands on tobacco in the first place? And legally the person they are selling to has to be 18 or they could be charged. I'm baffled.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:02 AM

Can 13 year olds work in stores in Canada?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
    A 13 year old can get a part time job at McDonalds, but that's it as far as I know. Unless of course their parents own the store.
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Can 13 year olds work in stores in Canada?

Yes!
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 01:05 PM
    yes!

I just looked the law up and it appears to say no - do you have a source? "Children" in particular cannot work in a bad environment and perhaps selling cigarettes is a bad environment.
    -

Apr 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I just looked the law up and it appears to say no - do you have a source? "Children" in particular cannot work in a bad environment and perhaps selling cigarettes is a bad environment.
    They can work, they are not forced. Most 13 year old do jobs like babysit, mow the lawn, and so forth. Some do work at places like McDonalds. Some 13 year olds want to work, there's nothing wrong with it, but they are never forced. With selling cigarettes, it's mainly in a family run store. I've seen younger kids working in corner stores that sell smokes, all family run.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
    They can work, they are not forced. Most 13 year old do jobs like babysit, mow the lawn, and so forth. Some do work at places like McDonalds. Some 13 year olds want to work, there's nothing wrong with it, but they are never forced. With selling cigarettes, it's mainly in a family run store. I've seen younger kids working in corner stores that sell smokes, all family run.

Well, you can answer your own question about why this is allowed by calling and reporting underage kids working, perhaps longer hours than allowed also.
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Well, you can answer your own question about why this is allowed by calling and reporting underage kids working, perhaps longer hours than allowed also.
    Working underage kids is not my point of the question. My point of the question is to why children under 19 can sell tobacco! Walk into any London Drugs, Stupidstore (sorry superstore), extra foods, safeway, IGA, save on foods, I could go on. If you look around, a lot of the employee's are under the age of 19, and are still able to sell tobacco. I want to know why!
    With alcohol, we are lucky to have liquor stores and bear and wine stores. By law, the employee's must be over the drinking age to sell the alcohol. Even to serve it!
    So why don't we have the same law for tobacco!
    I do have to point out, it does differ with each province and territory, the age that is.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
    yes!
    No, a 13 year old CANNOT work in a store Canada.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Working underage kids is not my point of the question. My point of the question is to why children under 19 can sell tobacco! Walk into any London Drugs, Stupidstore (sorry superstore), extra foods, safeway, IGA, save on foods, I could go on. If you look around, a lot of the employee's are under the age of 19, and are still able to sell tobacco. I want to know why!
    With alcohol, we are lucky to have liquor stores and bear and wine stores. By law, the employee's must be over the drinking age to sell the alcohol. Even to serve it!
    So why don't we have the same law for tobacco!?
    I do have to point out, it does differ with each province and territory, the age that is.

Your question was: "In Canada we have a law, to sell alcohol the person must be over the legal drinking age, differs with each province and Territory. However, a 13 year old can sell tobacco! There is no law stating the same there, why? If we care so much, why isn't there a law stating that the person selling the tobacco must be over the legal age?"

This opened the door to how a 13 year old can sell anything.

You did not state under the age of 19; you specifically stated "13 year old."

Perhaps this is a question better addressed to the Prime Minister of Canada. I don't understand why underage people in NYS can serve/sell alcohol, for that matter.
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Your question was: "In Canada we have a law, to sell alcohol the person must be over the legal drinking age, differs with each province and Territory. However, a 13 year old can sell tobacco! There is no law stating the same there, why? If we care so much, why isn't there a law stating that the person selling the tobacco must be over the legal age?"

This opened the door to how a 13 year old can sell anything.

You did not state under the age of 19; you specifically stated "13 year old."

Perhaps this is a question better addressed to the Prime Minister of Canada. I don't understand why underage people in NYS can serve/sell alcohol, for that matter.
    I was taking an age. I can say 16! A 13 year old can! Go to downtown Vancouver, check out corner stores, I assure you there are children that work there. They are family run businesses and it is normal.
    In B.C. the legal drinking age is 19. Go into any store and you will find a many people under the age of 19 selling tobacco. Jesus christ some of you are very picky with wording! Shall I edit the question and take out 13?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
    I was taking an age. I can say 16! A 13 year old can! Go to downtown Vancouver, check out corner stores, I assure you there are children that work there. They are family run businesses and it is normal.
    In B.C. the legal drinking age is 19. Go into any store and you will find a many people under the age of 19 selling tobacco. Jesus christ some of you are very picky with wording! Shall I edit the question and take out 13?

Normal and legal are different issues.

You seem to have a very low threshold for people who don't agree with you. You asked a specific question; several people answered it, apparently not the answer you wanted to hear.

Did you post here in January and February under another name? Your posts, language, temperament are very, very familiar to me.
    snowball42 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Your right
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball42
    your right
    About what?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I was taking an age. I can say 16! A 13 year old can!
    That doesn't make any sense. Can you rephrase that?

13 year olds are not legally allowed to be employed. If you see a 13 year old employee in a store selling tobacco or selling anything then report the event to the proper authorities - it's not that complicated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if my pregnant girlfriend smokes? [ 6 Answers ]

:) hi I have a serious concern if my girlfriend is pregnant and if she smokes mariguana can that effect my unborn child in any way? What if I'm a smoker of both ciggs and mariguana can that harm my unborn child?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Friend drinks and smokes [ 2 Answers ]

My ex friend has gotten into the wrong crowd. She drinks, smokes, and who knows what else. Her parents are divorced so she lives with her dad but he doesn't do much to help. Her brother had to carry her home because she was drunk, then he found out. He grounded her for about 3 days, then she was...

Smokes when started [ 2 Answers ]

What causes a vehicle to smoke when it is first started?

She smokes dope and I do not like it [ 7 Answers ]

I met my girlfriend 3 years ago and she was already smoking dope.she is 27 and she likes the stuff a lot. I want our relationship to go to the next level, marriage. But how do I make her see that a family whose mother uses dope, drinks, comes back late at night or early in the morning drunk and...

Hardwire / interconnect smokes [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for some clarification on smoke wiring - 1 family residential. Have 6 smokes/CO all hardwired /interconnected using 3 wire. These will be added to general lighting circuit, hallway lights, etc. as long as they're interconnected, it does not matter where in the series I draw from the gen...

View more questions Search