Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hammock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Compensation for Care Giver
    I have been caring for my brother for several years. Taking him to Doctor, lab and other medical test, his Probation Reporting office. I pick up his meds, food, purchase clothes etc. This is putting a financial burden on me as I miss lots of time from work. Can I receive compensation from him for this and is so at what rate?
    Hammock
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Welcome to AMHD; how much is your time worth? Have you asked him for compensation? Does he have a source of income? You may be able to talk to someone in a nearby church and locate a volunteer.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Did you have some sort of previous agreement before that he would reimburse you for the costs? If you've voluntairily been taking care of him with not agreement that he would pay you back I would think not.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
    You can ask him for compensation to do these errands for him. Talk to him about this and see what he feels is fair. After all gasoline these days is out of this world and your car sure drinks plenty running around doing all these errands for him. Does he have some kind of regular income that he can pay you something out of? Also, if he will not pay you anything to do these things, you might suggest that he contact a taxi cab service to ferry him around to his appointments during the day when you have to work or hire a neighbor that does not work to ferry him around to dr and probation reporting, etc. You have a job that should come first as you have to eat and pay your bills first. See what he says to that arrangement.
    hammock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 12:05 PM
    He has Social Security income. (70 year old stroke suvivor) Refuses to use public transportation an refuses to take a cab afraid he will get lost. I feel my time is worth my hourly wage I make at my job.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    You can ask him for compensation to do these errands for him. Talk to him about this and see what he feels is fair. Afterall gasoline these days is out of this world and your car sure drinks plenty running around doing all these errands for him. Does he have some kind of regular income that he can pay you something out of? Also, if he will not pay you anything to do these things, you might suggest that he contact a taxi cab service to ferry him around to his appointments during the day when you have to work or hire a neighbor that does not work to ferry him around to dr and probation reporting, etc. You have a job that should come first as you have to eat and pay your bills first. See what he says to that arrangement.

Absolutely agree - talk to him, explain how much time this is taking, explain you aren't looking at this as an opportunity to make money from a family member but you could use some help here. Hopefully he will be agreeable.

Sounds like you've really put yourself out there for him and hopefully he realizes it and is willing to compensate you to some degree.

(As "Twinky" said - the cost of gasoline alone is a killer!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Care values of care workers when communicating [ 1 Answers ]

health and social care help :confused: can someone tell me how to promote anti-discrimination to recognise cultural differences to acknowledge service users personal beliefs and identities r care values of care workers when communicating in their day-to-day tasks :confused:

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

Care provider or care giver. WHAT! [ 1 Answers ]

Why in some states like the Northwest and West coast fathers are viewed has the care provider and the mother the care giver, now I now the difference so don't get all technical with me, all I'm saying isn't that view and definition a little bias and favor the mother. Us as fathers have to provide...

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

Should I giver her space? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in a 4 yr relationship with a 24 yr ols girl I love so much.Its been a long distance relationship for like 2yrs now,we have been through ups and downs like any other relationship.But only recently we had an argument ,we stopped talking for like a week or 2 afterwich I called and...

View more questions Search