Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UrsaMinor Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
    First year choice
    Hi,

We came to the US from The Netherlands in March 2007. We were dutch resident, but not nationals.
    My husband has an L1 visa, I have L2. We both have SSN. I don't had any income for the entire year. He had income until March from Holland and he paid taxes for that. Do we have to file his foreign income and 1116 form for foreign tax credit?
    I tried to find out from the Dutch- US treaty, but it's too long to read and complicated.
    I think we should make the first year choice to get standard deduction and exemptions.

Please help!!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Yes, if you file resident joint return, you will report your world wide income for 2007. You will get standard deduction of $10,700 and exemptions for both of you

You will also file Form 1116 or 2555. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

L1 is work visa. There is no treaty benefit on work visa. You pay FICA taxes like U.S. citizens and residents.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:30 AM
    You are treated as U.S. residents for 2007 regardless of whether you make the first year choice. The decision you have to make is whether you will file jointly or your husband will file separately. If you file jointly, then your husband needs to include the Dutch income on the tax return and claim credits and/or exclusion (Form 1116 and/or 2555). If your husband files separately, then he does not need to include the Dutch income and you will not need to file at all. While filing separately is a much simpler process, the U.S. tax may be higher than filing jointly (with added complexity).
    UrsaMinor Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Thanks for the answers.

What do you mean IntlTax on : "You are treated as U.S. residents for 2007 regardless of whether you make the first year choice."

My other question is regarding to the currency. Do we have to calculate on the latest rate? The Euro is much stronger now, than it was in March.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 5, 2008, 02:54 PM
    The only comment I'd make about the separate filing would be that because you would be dual status you would not be getting some of the benefits of filing jointly as residents for the full year. Of course, as IntlTax rightly points out, the MFJ does require more complexity in terms of including foreign income and claim a FTC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Year Choice. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear: I have one question about the first year choice, I read your post about all the issues and my doubt comes for my condition. I arrived to US in July 16th, 2007. I have not been in US before that date. I have been working with H1B status the rest of year. If I count the number of days of...

Use of first year choice [ 1 Answers ]

I came from India on Sep-10-2006 on L1 visa with my wife. We did not go outside US from Sep-10-2006.I was present in the United States for 113 days (more than 31 days) in a row in 2006 & I was present in the United States 100% (more than 75%) of the number of days beginning with the first day of...

H1 under first year choice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, My husband and I came to the US in Dec.2002 as F1 and F2. My husband got his H1B visa Oct 1.2006 and I am H4 visa holder. We had a baby last year and he is a US citizen. I still have not ITIN number. My question is: 1.Can we wait till early June to file jointly...

First year choice or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My status in 2006 is this: F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4 In 2006, my tuition was about 16000 If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition...

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

View more questions Search