Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABJackson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Wage Earner Laws
    My name is Aretha I live in Douglasville, GA - My questsion is as a single parent of two and a home owner.

Regarding - garnishment of monthly income - I was never ordered to court nor did I receive notification by mail. The Garnisher has recently started garnishing more than $400every two weeks from my monthly income. Is there anything I can do to lower the amount being taken? A friend mentioned requesting a wage earner, but I don't know where to start, can you offer some guidance?

Sincerely,

A.B. Jackson
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 10:09 AM
    [QUOTE=ABJackson]My name is Aretha I live in Douglasville, GA - My questsion is as a single parent of two and a home owner.

Regarding - garnishment of monthly income - I was never ordered to court nor did I receive notification by mail. The Garnisher has recently started garnishing more than $400every two weeks from my monthly income. Is there anything I can do to lower the amount being taken? A friend mentioned requesting a wage earner, but I don't know where to start, can you offer some guidance?

If you were never served with any papers and the creditor got a judgment you can move to set that judgment aside. Of course, they'll re-serve it but then at least you get to argue your case.

"Under federal law, you cannot garnish more than 25% of the debtor's disposable income. There is an additional protection for low income people. A wage earner must be left with a weekly wage equal to 30 times the current federal minimum wage.

If your judgment is for child or spousal support, you can garnish up to 50% of the judgment debtor's take home pay (55% if he is 12 or more weeks in arrears.) If the judgment debtor does not currently support a spouse or child, you can garnish up to 60% of his wages (65% if he is 12 or more weeks in arrears.) There is no automatic protection for low-income workers.

A few states have even lower wage garnishment limits. Ask your sheriff or marshall's office for your state's garnishment rules. "
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 03:51 PM
    To have a garnishment, they would have had to get a judgement sometime in the past. It may have been a few years even. Did you get a judgement before ?

If yes, then there is no future notice of a garnishment, once they have a judgement they can get garnishment by merely filing the paper work.

If you were not given notice of a judgment, you can go back to that court and file a motion to over turn the judgement for improper notice, and that will stop the judgemnet and garnishment temp anyway.

There is a max in GA that can be ganished a percent of your pay as Judy listed.
    Georgia is fairly a lender friendly state, but they will follow the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage Garnishment laws [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if the Garnishment laws of South Carolina apply to the Employers and Employees in the state of South Carolina or if they apply to the Residents of South Carolina. In other words, I am a resident of South Carolina but I work in the state of Georgia and receive wages from a company in...

Wage garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

If I am delinquent on a loan payment, can they legally garnish my wages through the court or is this a standard tactic used by companies to obtain payment?

Sc wage garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

Can a bank garnish my wages for a deficet on a forcloser on my home ? I live in sc

Wage garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida now and I am head of household.. ny state is garnishiring 15% of my wages... I was in an agreement with them to pay 100 dollars monthly so theyn stopped... back in October my son was a passenger in a bad car accident and was is the hospital for 3 weeks and needed some home care......

Wage [ 2 Answers ]

What is the hourly rate for a junior in Australia?> Does anyone know?

View more questions Search