Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deki1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Wiring my new welder
    Hi, I just got my new mig welder that runs 220V/20A input, current type-single. In my garage I have outlet for 220 which I use for arc welder that has three wire two hot and one for ground. New welder came without plug on it but it also has three wire (white, black and green). I connected new plug that fits my outlet used white and black as a hot and green as a ground. When you turn welder ON you can hear cooling fan working, when you press trigger welding wire is coming out like it is supposed to go, there is light working on the ON/OFF switch, but when you want to start welding no sparks, no nothing. So my question is what is wrong I was thinking that welder is not working I took it back exchange it I got new one same thing, that means something else is wrong. My outlet is connected to panel and to the 40AMPS fuse, is that a problem because on welder it says 20A input or what else could be or maybe I need one hot, neutral and ground but in that case is it 220V . I would like to find out what is wrong with machine or with my wiring so if you the answer, please let me know
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Should work, 240 Volts need 2 hots.
    I take it no Neutral is Needed, Verify 240 volts present at Line connection to welder.
    Also Verify Plug connections.

Apr 4, 2008, 05:46 AM
    I tired everything
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:04 AM
    At welder connections, did you verify good ground from panel?
    Can you have them verify operation at Purchase location?

Apr 4, 2008, 06:23 AM
    They don't know
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:43 AM
    You either got 2 bad welders or you have a local problem?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Apr 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
    One more thing you can try, Do you have any friends that you can take your welder to and plug into there power? Sounds to me like you have it all wired correctly just there is something going on in or with the welder. What kinds welder is it? I assume it is MIG

Apr 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
    It is mig welder, I exchange it for second time still the same so it has to be something with wiring, but the outlet that I am using is working fine for my arc welder and for my garage heater I am thinking that this welder needs different wiring or something else is wrong
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 07:04 PM
    See if the instructions mention any interlocks or safetys that need to be satisfied.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Why not post the actual make and model of the unit so we can see the instructions online?

Apr 4, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Yes. Where there any shipping locks etc.. Put on the welder when it was shipped to the store. If your stick welder works, then this one will too in the same plug. No reason it should not.

What do the guys at the selling store tell you if anything? Do they have a clue what's going on?

Apr 4, 2008, 08:13 PM
    There is not instrustions on line for princessauto store, but I will let you know. Model # 8154718. Rated input voltage- 230V, Frequency- 60 Hz, Current type-Single, Max. input current-20A, Max. output voltage-36VDC

Rated output current 30A 50A 75A 105A
    Rated output voltage 15.5V 16.5V 17.7V 21V
    Duty cycle 100% 88% 39% 20%

Insulation grade H

And on the next page it says: Connect a 25A power plug (8154718: 230 VAC,25A) to the line corg. Green wire=ground wire and thete is a picture with peace of wire and it showes black,white and green. Below that it says: Ground:Green
    Neutral:White
    Hot:Black

That's all that you can find in Owner's manual

Apr 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
    They don't have a clue about wiring
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deki1
    They don't have a clue about wiring
    Obviously not with instructions like this:

Quote Originally Posted by deki1
    And on the next page it says: Connect a 25A power plug (8154718: 230 VAC,25A) to the line corg. Green wire=ground wire and thete is a picture with peace of wire and it showes black,white and green. Below that it says:
    Ground:Green
    Neutral:White
    Hot:Black
    NEUTRAL??

Apr 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Is this a Deca brand OR Power fist? Did you get it at a princess auto store?

Apr 4, 2008, 08:41 PM
    If this is a Deca brand name sold through princess, they are made in italy and don't have a great reputation. Not from the people who own them. Go to Google and search out Deca Welders and see if someone who owns one might shed some light on what your problems are.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Apr 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
    It is Power Fist, made in China, peace of sh...

Apr 4, 2008, 08:56 PM
    OK I'm not sure if the deca and power fist are related, but U might try and search on the power fist brand. Its like me and my puter work. IF I am having the problem, pretty damn sure someone else has had the same thing happen. So I go ask.

Just suggestion

Mike

Apr 4, 2008, 09:03 PM
    I called 1-800 number and ask them did they have any complains about machines they said NO, I have seen people buying those machine like crazy on sale and I asked in a store they also told me no complying so far that means something is missing

Apr 4, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Well I don't know. Seems all the wires are correct, its something in that machine I'm sure. I just don't don't know what. I mean your getting power as you say everything fires up when you plug it in so I don't know what's going on there.

Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring my new welder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my new mig welder that runs 220V/20A input, current type-single. In my garage I have outlet for 220 which I use for arc welder that has three wire two hot and one for ground. New welder came without plug on it but it also has three wire (white, black and green). I connected new plug...

220 wiring for an arc welder [ 6 Answers ]

I want to hook up a 220v arc welder. I have a 50 amp double pole breaker. The outlet is going to be placed within 6 feet of my breaker box. I believe I have to use 3 wire romex with a bare ground wire. Is this correct? Next, do I connect the black wire to one side of my breaker, the red to the...

Wiring an outlet for a welder [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of setting up my new welder. The box that I had installed by an electrician has 4 wires, black, red, white and bare. My welder has a three prong plug as does the new outlet that I just bought. Which wire goes to the ground prong of the outlet, white or bare? Do I ignore the...

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

Welder Wiring / % of Panel Capacity [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 welder(here) at a business liquidation auction. It came with huge pin type connectors (shudda been a hint). After I got it home and read the manual, I discovered it requires a 175 amp breaker when used to it's max capability. I have 200 amp service...

View more questions Search