Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tabitharssll Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 04:38 AM
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter her father not around!
    [F]

My husband wants to adopt my daughter he has been with her ever since she was 13 months old and now almost 8 yrs old and her dad has'nt seen her since she was 12 months
    He pays child support only because it's court ordered but she don't know him and would probably be scared of him she don't know nothing about him all she knows is my husband.
    How would we go about getting this done quickly do you know??
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I do believe that you have to get the birth fathers' agreement to this. I, personally went through this (mind you, it was many years ago). I had to wait until I was of legal age to ask for a name change myself because my birth father would not agree to my step father adopting me.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Apr 4, 2008, 05:40 AM
    You would have to get hiis permission. As long as he is paying child support that would be the only way to do it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2008, 06:47 AM
    You need an attorney to prepare the adoption papers. The attorney can then advise you on how to terminate the bio father's rights. Most likely he will be willing to voluntarily relinquish since the adoption will stop his support payments.

Jun 8, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need an attorney to prepare the adoption papers. The attorney can then advise you on how to terminate the bio father's rights. Most likely he will be willing to voluntarily relinquish since the adoption will stop his support payments.
    Thanks so much it your answer did help me decide thank you all!!

Jun 8, 2009, 10:34 AM
    thank you all for your answers!! :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks for comign back and tellign us how it all worked out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does my husband need to do to adopt my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

What does my husband need to do to adopt my daughter?

My husband wants to adopt my daughter, but [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 2 years, my baby was 10 months old when we met. The biological father's wages are garnished each week for child support, but he doesn't cover any other responsibilities like day care or medical expenses. HE only sees her for about 12 hours a month. My...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search