Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lancetusmle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Tax for first year H-1b visa holder: chinese citizen
    Dear Expert:

I came to US in 2005 with F-1 visa. I got my OPT in October 2006 and got my H-1b visa February 2007. Now which form should I file? IRS mailed me a 1040 NR form but when I was using a free software online, it generatee a 1040 form for me. I emailed that company about my situation, they said I can fill a 1040 form. And according to the brochure IRS mailed to me, it seems that I do can be counted as Resident Allien for tax purpose, so, I gues maybe I can fill 1040 like the US citizen do. But after I read more articles online including a lot of info from this website, I got very confused. My income total for 2007 is 45,000. I am single. Chinese citizen. Got about 1,000 tax refund for 2006b/c I was still a student and have the tax treaty benefit. But I am not sure about do I still have treaty benefit as a H-1b visa holder and how much is exempted?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 03:00 AM
    For 2007, you are Dual Status-- nonresident before you got H1-B and then resident.

On your nonresident income, you will get treaty benefit. You will also file Form 8843 with your Dual status return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a J2 visa holder exempted from tax? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a J1 visa holder from China, working as postdoc research fellow. Currently how many years can a J visa holder be exempted from tax? As J status has been extended to a total of 5 years, is there a corresponding extension for the period for tax exemption? My husband is now working in...

J1 visa holder, earn only $6000 a year, qualify for tax refunds? [ 1 Answers ]

I am J1 visa holder (with Hong Kong residency, which is not included in the tax treaty). My salary is only 6000 per year. I am currently paying both state and federal taxes. Do I qualify for a tax refund, since I earn so little? Would I able to get all my taxes refund or just partial? Do I...

Whether to leave assets to US citizen or G4 visa holder [ 3 Answers ]

My father in law has an estate in VA worth about $500K and would like to leave it to the relative with the least tax impact. He and his wife are GC holders and his wife does not live in the US. She is also not interested in the estate. My wife and I are G4 visa holders, while our children are...

Tax Deduction for J-1 Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in NY as a trainee (J-1visa). This year I had relevant medical expences (dentist), not paid by the health insurance. Can I deduct them? Thank you

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search