Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbadd Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Retro child support
    Hello all
    With out being too confusing... here is my problem now!!
    I recently went to court to have my child support that I pay to my ex changed because one of the kids no longer lives with her. Now she's ticked off big time cause it chenged and is screaming for back time.
    I know I should have given proof of income each year but I didn't... anyways,the last time we were in court previous to when the order was changed was in 2005... at that time she was given income for 2003,2004... can she still retro back even though she had the income info and chose not to do anything in 2005?
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 04:37 PM
    It depends on the laws in your state. If you were required to report changes of income, then she may be able to go after you. If you only had to go to court if you wanted to request a change, then she doesn't have any grounds.
    bigbadd Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I live in Nova Scotia
    My order states I was required to give the info. However... my question is how long does she have once she gets the information to go for back time? As I said we were in court in 05 and I supplied my income to the courts and her for pevious years and now, 3 yrs later she is going for back time. Is there a time limit that she has to make that decision? I don't know... its confusing... I pay for my kids and I get screwed evrytime.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Yes. She can "retro back" if you were delinquent in your child support payments prior to when the order was modified due to the one child no longer residing with her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 04:52 PM
    This is subject to local laws. You have to check the laws for your area.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadd
    I live in Nova Scotia
    My order states i was required to give the info. however... my question is how long does she have once she gets the information to go for back time? as i said we were in court in 05 and i supplied my income to the courts and her for pevious years and now, 3 yrs later she is going for back time. Is there a time limit that she has to make that decision? i dont know.... its confusing.......i pay for my kids and i get screwed evrytime.

Cannot speak for Nova Scotia but if you were "supposed" to advise the Court of any income changes and you did not she can go after you for back support until the end of time.

I know you think you got "screwed" because you pay for your kids... but if you had higher income than the Court knew about and didn't report it you did not live up to your financial obligation to your children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estranged husband owes retro support and coming into lump sum of money! [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 children with estranged husband... Im not divorced yet, due to financial trouble. He doesn't work anymore, but I do. He owes quite a large amount of Child Support. He is getting an inheritance in paper check form due to his father's passing, March of 2006. It went through probate in New...

Retro Pay of Child Support when son is adopted [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! Just wanted to find out if and how I can get my son's biological father for retro Child Support. My husband adopted my son in 2003. The biological father is not on the birth certificate nor has he been an active role in my son's life. I understand that I must establish paternity first,...

Retro child support [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was sue for child support for a child that her mother told me wasn't mine. The kid is 14 yrs old and live in killeen Texas I live in Nevada. We took blood test and she is mine. However she grew up with another man and his family who she has always known as her father. Her and I both...

View more questions Search