Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afghanhound101 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Smells like paint in apartment
    We recently moved into an apartment. Before we moved in, the super replaced the carpets and painted all the walls. When we first moved, the smell of paint was quite strong and it caused all sorts of problems such as dizziness, shortness of breath and itchy eyes and nose. Now about a month later, I can still smell paint when I enter the apartment. Although I don't feel as dizzy as before, I still have a bit of trouble breathing. Could it be the chemicals they used when installing the carpets that could be causing problems?
    What can I do about this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Here is a whole search engine on the new carpet sick building syndrome.
    AOL Search results for "remedy new carpets sick building syndrome"

The Doctors Book of Home Remedies II Sick Building Syndrome
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Apparently the carpets are still outgasing the chemicals. You need to open the windows when you are not home if possible to air out the carpets as much as possible. New carpets are a real pain to deal with until they outgas. It should take about 3 months to completely outgas if the carpet "paint smell" was that strong when you first moved in that you got headaches from it. I am very sensitive to this carpet outgasing so you could say that I know quite a bit about this subject firsthand (unfortunately). Also if you have ceiling fans leave them on when you are not home as well or just a regular table or floor fan will do wonders also.

Apr 8, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Thanks, both of you for your answers. Ièm thinking of hiring a professional to test the air. Maybe get a few houseplants and try other easy and affordable things to clean the air.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Yeah spider plants and ferns would be good I would think

Apr 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your input.
    twinkiedooter, should I point the fans towards the open windows?

Apr 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Do you guys think the landlord will remove the carpet if I ask him? Is it my right to get it removed if I so choose?
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 05:13 PM
    You can not remove it. You would have to tell the landlord that it is making you seriously ill.
    Maybe tell him you don't want to end up having to sue him for doctors bills.

Apr 18, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I talked to the landlord about the carpet. I described to him our problems. He told me that the carpet is called berber and that in the 10 years that he's been a landlord, no one has ever complained about the carpet. Also, I just want to add that the landlord painted our whole apartment and the paint he used is now peeling. Not just on one wall but it's peeling on all the walls. Could this be the cause of any problems? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Water from RO smells [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced my under sink RO system with a new one. On filling a glass with water There is an initial bad smell (drainlike) from the water. After a few seconds it dissipates. The water from the regular faucets is o.k. I called the manufacturers of the RO unit and they told me that it...

Sewage smells [ 1 Answers ]

Could it be the washer or dryer?? I am having this sewer smell. Do I call a plummer to make it go away. I have lived here 13 years. It started about 2 month ago. It comes and goes, but is strong at night. I can't take it. It really seems to come from the washer and dryer area, but I also have a...

Can landlord force tenant to paint apartment before leaving? [ 10 Answers ]

I am currently living in an apartment pay month to month rent. I am wanting to move into a bigger apartment in the same building. The realty company has told me that they won't allow me to move from one apartment to another in the same building unless I pay a finder's fee (I paid one already when I...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search