Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willie big dawg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 11:04 AM
    MTD 42 in cut drive belt
    Could someone possibly take me through the prosses of changing the drive belt on a 42in cut MTD lawn tractor?
    SkipB Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by willie big dawg
    Could someone possibly take me through the prosses of changing the drive belt on a 42in cut MTD lawn tractor?
    You didn't say if this is a hydro unit or a shift unit. There are 2 belts on a shift unit that work together on a variable speed pulley. It is kind of difficult to describe on-line. You should replace both belts when you change them because it is a pain to do. Also check the variable speed pulley system because the bushings in them either freeze-up or wear. Make sure there is no play in the idler pulleys. You're better off getting a repair manual on-line for diagrams

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lowe's (MTD) 16/42 Drive Belt [ 3 Answers ]

My father gave me Lowe's 1642 riding mower but the drive belt keeps coming off. I have put a new idler pulley on and it still does this. I took the middle cover off and watched the clutch pulley when I was mowing and the belt seems to get too much slack in it and thrown off. Are there any belt...

MTD Yard Machines belt drive [ 6 Answers ]

How do you change the drive belt on a MTD Yard Machine lawn tractor? The old one was shredded so I do not have a reference.

How do I put a new drive belt on MTD. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the drive belt on my MTD riding mower. I can't remove the pulley attached to the engine to get the belt on. I removed the bolt at the bottom of pulley but the pulley still does not come off. This is a 16 hp. Riding mower with 2 spark plugs, model #1360675H302, serial #...

View more questions Search