Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmurphy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Faulty wiring
    I have a problem with wiring in the kitchen. It's a faulty switch that stops working intermittently and seems to heat up and crackle from time to time. It powers the washing machine so I really need to use it. Also there's a light on it and also I can't switch it off, the switch seems to be stuck somehow. What I need to know is if its safe to continue to use the machine now until I get it fixed and how much should I expect to pay an electrician to fix this or should I try to fix it myself?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Hi,
    What you are describing is definitely a fire hazard! The "Crackling" noise is due to heat, from electricity, and can cause a fire. Don't use anything that causes this until you either fix it or have it fixed.
    If you can replace the switch yourself, then do it. If not, CAll a reputable electrician TODAY, and get it taken care of.
    I do wish you the best of luck... just remember, house fires start like this!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 12:10 PM
    This is no big deal, cheap and easy to fix yourself. All you need to do is identify the breaker supplying power to the switch. Best shut it off when the light is on, so when the light goes out, you know you shut off the right breaker. Remove the 2 screws holding the cover plate, and the 2 holding the switch to the box behind it. There should be 2 black wires connected to screws on the switch or pushed into holes in the back. Newer switches will have a bare wire connected to a green screw. If not, the new one will. If there is a bare wire in the box, connect it to the new switch. May have to add a wire to a couple of connected wires. Anything you don't understand when you open the box, post back.

Take the switch to a hardware and look for one with a light on it like the old one if you want the light. Otherwise, any switch will work. If the light is in a different position on the new switch, you need a new plate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 05:22 PM
    I want to clarify my position. The way the switch is, is a severe problem needing prompt attention. Once you identify the breaker, and snap it to off, the danger is gone. That makes it something you can safely and cheaply fix yourself as you have time.

Feb 11, 2006, 03:05 AM
    Thanks for all your advice. The switch has stopped working altogether so should no longer be a hazard and I'm now waiting on an electrician to fix it.
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 11:05 AM
    I am no expert but just because the switch has stopped working does it mean the fire hazzard is gone especially if the insulation of the wire has been compromised. You really should turn off the breaker if at all possible. If it supplies power to another portion of your house that you require I would make sure that you cut the breaker when your family leaves the home... just in case.

Good luck

Doug

Feb 19, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Got is sorted, thanks to all who answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faulty Water Meter? [ 12 Answers ]

I own a Condominium rentals unit that is occupied by a lady and her two kids. About 4 months ago the HOA installed individual water meters for each unit. The water bill for the complex is allocated by the water consumption of each unit. My bills have been running about $70/month compared to my home...

Faulty lite [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I recently installed a flouresent lite fixture and after being on for ten or fifteen minutes, it shuts off. Is the ballast bad or something else going on? Thank-jb.

Faulty limit switch? [ 6 Answers ]

Toward the end of a heating cycle, the burners would shut down and the fail code would read "open limit switch". The repairman said the limit switch was faulty and installed a new one a couple of days ago. It seemed to work fine until this morning, and now it's doing the same thing as mentioned...

Faulty FSB [ 1 Answers ]

I have a server that blue screens when it starts to get into Windows Server 2003. The only perculiar thing is that it only does it when the FSB is set to 133MHz. If I turn it down to 100MHz it loads and runs fine. I am yet to try a BIOS upgrade on the motherboard as I am running a repair on the...

? Faulty wiring [ 4 Answers ]

:D - hello first post, so hoping that you are far better than I when it comes to electrics! Have just moved into a new house and could not believe that the previous couple had not left bulbs in the front room. One electric shock later and I now know why- none of the electric lights turn off at the...

View more questions Search